Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Surgery #8 Coming UP

I can't really believe I am writing this, but I am having more surgery this Good Friday at 12:30pm.
I saw Dr. Ryan Figg this afternoon to have him look at my ostomy and tell me what he thinks. He took one look and say "this will never work, how about this Friday".  I was shocked but happy that this awful ostomy will be revised. I have been in such pain and discomfort for the past 4 1/2 wks. I am so relieved to know there is an end in sight. He did talk to the surgeon who did my last surgery and he did not really have an explanation as to why he did it this way. Dr. Figg said, let's go forward. I knew he would not say anything bad about that surgeon. Another Easter in the hospital.  He will try and do the revision from the ostomy site, try to bring up more small bowel and have it stick out like a proper stoma should. He did say if he was not able to do it that way , he would have to open me up again. I was so afraid he would say, yes, I will try to do a revision, but we have to wait 2-3 months.  He also shocked me by saying he would have no problem in 7months to a year to do a take down surgery again. I can't even think about that at this time.

So tomorrow is my last day to eat for a while. Clear liquids on Thurs and a bottle of Mag Citrate to clean me out, YUCK!!

We did have a nice time in Hilton Head Island with my parents. Stan golfed about everyday. I enjoyed the sunshine and relaxed. I did struggle with my stoma, but I tried my best to take in as much as I could do. The hot tubs were wonderful. We watched a lot of basketball on TV. We ate out every other day enjoying lots of local sea food and grilled and made dinners in the villa the other nights.

Mieke has off on Friday for beginning of spring break, so she will take me to the hospital. Stan has a very important appt. he needs to go to that am. I have to say that I have done this so many times, that it is getting pretty routine.

If you want to know how to pray specifically, please pray that he can do the revision the simple way, then I will only need to be in the hospital for a few days. I am so relived to have this phase of my journey come to an end, because the quality of life has not been the best lately.

I am having my CA-125 blood test done on Thursday, so I pray that it has gone down. Will find out the results Friday I hope.

Ross and Rumy are playing at both services on Easter and Mieke is singing at the second service. I am so sad to miss this, but I will try and watch it live-streamed on my computer.

4 comments:

  1. Deb,
    Thanks so much for the update. I was wondering how things have been going for you. Will be praying for successful surgery to lessen your pain going forward. Hard to comprehend all that has happened to you. Will do our best to stream the Beechwood service to you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am relieved to read this post and that Dr Figg could see right away that something needed to be done. You need to have this pain GONE! We will certainly be praying for the simplified revision, but wisdom to be able to discern what will give you the best outcome.
    Love Linda Breen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending love and hugs and lots of prayers.
    Shae

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why you did not want to go into detail at the bar tonight. It sounds like you are happy this Dr. will get you in so quickly and fix things.....better than a long wait. Sorry I cannot help you much at all as I am working most days in Muskegon or Douglas. I do pray a lot though, and will keep you especially in prayer during this holy season.
    Mary Claire

    ReplyDelete