Friday, February 19, 2016

294 is the score

Stan Here:

These blog things somehow keep score.  I think some people write blogs and somehow advertise on them.  So built in to the program they have some stats and a moment ago I looked at that.  I was interesting to me that the one I am writing now is the 294th time we have posted something on the blog and we tried to never do so unless something had changed.  I did count up the other day the total number of hospital days and that is 149.  There have been 9 pretty major surgical procedures.  Mixed in between have been some pretty good days, a few trips, some days of little or no pain, 3 grandchildren and a 4th on the way.  It was really hard the other day when Hospice came here and it took three of us to get Deb from a chair to her bed.  I asked the Hospice nurse later if I had just seen the last steps and she shook her head up and down.

I must tell you an amazing story.  The trips from the bed to the chair were getting more difficult by the day. Pretty much a walker and a person on each side to assist.  2 nights ago I slept on the couch in case anything was needed by Deb who sleeps in the living room on a hospital bed. I woke up around 3 and she was sitting in the chair and had done so unassisted.  I asked how she had reached the chair and she had no recall of the trip.   Hospice uses a term and it is called "terminal restlessness". I am told that they have had it happen when patients who are 90 years old and have not been out of bed for 6 months have been found at the end of a hall a long way from their room.

The latest around here is that each day we witness a declining condition.  This morning we had a pain pump installed that will control the pain but it will make it so that Deb is not able to respond all that much.  We had to do so because the pain and the restlessness had reached a point of even the slightest touch or bed adjustment leaving her calling out in pain.  Deb has not had any food now for 2 days and with the medication level now she will not eat, nor has any desire to eat.  She is able to open her eyes at times but not able to express much what we can do for her. Her parents came to see her today but even that was kind of hard as she just is not able to express the normal emotions that come with human life.

So  number 294 has to exist as a good score in bowling only, but very hard and sad to write.  Folks, it is just tough to watch. I am starting to understand that many of you have experienced something like this with a parent or spouse.  Forever I will have a deeper understanding of all who have needed to endure something like this.

Thanks for staying with us.

Stan






16 comments:

  1. Even though we all knew this was coming, I feel so bad reading it. I am thankful I was able to be overnight with Deb a week ago and was able to watch a show she likes, was able to pray with her and give her a kiss goodbye. I was hoping to stay with her again. I will be praying for all of you as you spend these last hours or days with her. Thanks for posting again Stan, I look for these posts so I know how Deb is doing and what to pray for. My heart aches for all of you and I am so sad, continuing to pray that Deb won't be in pain anymore and will soon be dancing and celebrating in heaven. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to be of help. Mary Leeuw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb has shown amazing strength and courage throughout her amazing journey. She will receive her reward soon. Now comes the really tough time for the rest of the family. Know that you are not alone- Deb will be with you always- and there are people all around you, holding you up in their prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your feeling all to well. What keeps things looking bright is the fact that she gets to meet our maker soon! I'm kind of jealous in that aspect! She will definitely be missed! We love her and let her know Ken Auwerda will be waiting for her in the kingdom of Heaven! Much peace and love to her and all in the family!
    Rachel Thomas (Auwerda)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know your feeling all to well. What keeps things looking bright is the fact that she gets to meet our maker soon! I'm kind of jealous in that aspect! She will definitely be missed! We love her and let her know Ken Auwerda will be waiting for her in the kingdom of Heaven! Much peace and love to her and all in the family!
    Rachel Thomas (Auwerda)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stan, thank you so very much for all your postings. You have been such a blessing for us. This probably has been one of the hardest blogs for you to write, my heart goes out to you and your family. It will the hardest for those of left behind but what excitement there will be in Heaven when she sees Jesus face to face. Like others have said, I'm kind of jealous in that aspect too. But never fear, we WILL see her again some day...praise be to God !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will continue to pray for Deb and all of you. It's very hard on the caregivers and something you never forget and so hard to see someone suffer. Please know you are all in my prayers. Wishing there was more I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will continue to pray for Deb and all of you. It's very hard on the caregivers and something you never forget and so hard to see someone suffer. Please know you are all in my prayers. Wishing there was more I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Stan for updating. Sometimes I wish I was a "writer". Words are hard to come by. You are your family are constantly in our thoughts and prayers.....please let Deb know that we have been praying for her. We never really want to go through what your family is going through, but there is a very great ending....knowing that heaven is were she will be. She is a great lady and has a heart of gold. Thanks Stan! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Stan, Mieke and all of the Vermeulen and Hoksbergen families,
    I am so sorry to hear how much Deb's condition has deteriorated in just the week since I spent the night with her. Krista, I am glad you picked this week to travel from Tulsa to see your sister again. We continue to lift your needs and heavy hearts up in prayer and pray for grace and peace. With love, Ellen Batts Jongsma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stan, thank you for taking the time to post on the blog. I appreciate being able to keep in touch with Deb's situation through your writings. My heart is heavy for you and your family. This is a lesson for all of us, life is very short! Joyce Schreuder Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Stan & Deb, please know that we are staying with you. We can't be there but hold you in our daily prayers. I am often struck at the thin but tenacious line between life and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CANCER SUCKS!! Praying for peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear God, please allow Deb and all her family and friends to truly FEEL You holding them as they wait on You in this holy time. All our love, Niki and Kevin Heil

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stan,
    Thanks for the update.....hopefully the pump is making Deb more comfortable . I am not surprised she got up in the chair on her own. Perseverance is her middle name. Blessings to all......

    ReplyDelete