Saturday, February 13, 2016

The Medical Mile

Stan Here:

I can recall three of four times when someone gave me directions and they told me the place I was looking for was on the "medical mile" in either GR, Ann Arbor, Cleveland of Minneapolis. I must tell you that as I have viewed the medical mile in Ann Arbor and Cleveland it is more like the medical 2 miles and while I have not seen Mayo clinic I understand it is even larger.  Not sure why I wanted to start like this other than to say that what we have here is more like the medical 10 feet.

Debs world has been confined of late to a 10ft circumference between chair and hospital bed as even small movements have been overwhelmed by increasing weakness and pain.. The largest medical issue right now is swelling and pain in both legs and especially in the left leg that has some discoloration and more advanced swelling than I think I could have thought of before.

We want people to know that we have had over 4 years to prepare for this.  I think Deb has always known that some of the worst medical times are yet to come and now we are in that stage.  An outside observer might say that perhaps the best option is sedate to the point of sleeping all the time.  I must tell you though that bright moments and smiles do happen as she interrelates with her caregivers (all who she knows well) and in this way this part of life has brought both value and quality.  Also, the grandchildren bring moments of quality and today they are coming to see her and this is very important to her.  So we are trying our best to provide those moments during this time.

All of this would not be possible without a very appreciated effort on the part of many friends who have shown support in a special way during this time.

So that is the update from the medical 10  feet.  That 10 feet has with in it a strong  person, strong friends, a strong will for life, and a strong vision of a future  life beyond this one. In that way we are blessed even though at moments it is hard to remember those facts.

Stan

P.S.  For the medical people out there the Methadone has been increased and the short term pain relief is something we are trying to decrease.  We are looking for a spot of being "in the game" and controlling the pain as best possible.  Yesterday Deb was able to visit with her caregiver in the afternoon for several hours and I think the changes in the meds have helped that

3 comments:

  1. Deb, Stan and Family,
    You are all doing such a great job of caring for Deb with dignity and grace in such a difficult time. As one of those "medical caregivers", I appreciate the update and want all of you to know you remain in our prayers and thoughts all of the time.
    Ellen Jongsma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello to all of you wonderful people,
    I've offered Karen my willingness to take my turn as caregiver for Deb, and as of tonight, I'm officially home from vacation. I'm willing to help in any way I can and I'd be honored to do so whenever the help is needed. Please know that my prayers are continuing for the whole family. God bless you all during this most difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Deb, Stan and family members,

    Thank you for this update. I have my ticket and look forward to visiting with all of you this week. Sure hope the meds make it possible to spend time together with pain under control and Deb is up to visiting. See you Wednesday!

    Love & prayers,

    Krista

    ReplyDelete