Thursday, May 17, 2012

Good news....

Update from Dr. appt yesterday. Saw my surgeon/oncologist Dr. Downey. He said he was planning on starting weekly chemo yesterday, but after asking him if we could wait until after Mieke's wedding to start, he thought about it for a minute and then he said," I think we can do that". He also said that because I am doing so well, he thinks that he will do the chemo once every 3 wks instead of weekly. What they do with the weekly is they divide the dosage by three and give smaller amounts. I am a little anxious about this, because I am not sure how I will feel, but I will get through it.

Some people are asking why more chemo? The answer is that the pathology after surgery shows there is cancer in the lining of my colon and there was microscopic cancer cells in the parts of the colon that they removed. So they want to try and get rid of it all. He does not think they will use the Avastin chemo drug. It has not shown to be the "wonder drug" they were hoping it would be.

They are saying I will have a CA-125 count on June 4, the first day of chemo, and then after 12 wks. they will repeat it. So I will have chemo all summer, and then think about more surgery to reverse the ileostomy in the fall.

I am thankful that I can have this time to get ready for the wedding with all my strength and enjoy the day to the fullest.

Many thanks to my neighbors Tom and Cheryl who keep me supplied with homemade soup. So good! Also thanks to Marylin from church who brought us dinner, it was great.

My heart is heavy with more cancer news about our friend Kent De Young. He is married to Leah Breen who babysat Mieke from the time she was born. Please pray for him and his climb. He has a blog called  http://kentclimb.blogspot.com/

I am also asking for prayers for my good friends Ken and Gwen. Ken is moving into Holland Hospice House today. Please pray that the pain will get under control. The cancer is very aggressive and there is no more treatment they can do for him. I can hardly believe I am writing this. His cancer is skin melanoma from the sun.

3 comments:

  1. Thankyou Deb and Stan, for visiting Leah, Kent and Lydia yesterday. That was so helpful for them.
    I am happy with you that the chemo can wait a couple weeks. Strength and physical endurance for the wedding will be wonderful for your whole family.
    I am SOOO sorry to hear about Ken. It seems like yesterday we were at Salt and Pepper and he was looking so great. Cancer wears so many hats. Praying for the researchers who work so hard to figure this out.
    Love you, Linda B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb and Stan, I am glad you get to wait until after the wedding to start the next round of chemo. I plan to bring your meal on Monday and hope to get a short visit in with you. I will text you sometime on Sunday and figure out a good time to stop. We will pray for your other friends who are battling cancer, just like we pray for you!
    Ellen Jongsma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb, I am sitting here waiting for my new phone...I hate the waiting...you are such an inspiration to me and I am sure to others....just wanted you to know that you make me proud and I only hope if I ever get sick I will have the strength that will that you have....enjoy the wedding preparations...I still can't believe little mieke is getting married.....love ya, char and lily

    ReplyDelete