Thursday, January 10, 2013

GJ Tube now in place

Deb writing now. I had a GJ feeding/decompression tube inserted into my stomach today down in the Interventional Radiology Dept. So I could have my NG tube taken out which is the best part!!
The goal with this tube is all part of the plan to get me home.

I am happy to report that yesteray and today I did have a little action from below. My surgeon said we scarred the poop of out me, because my body knew that I was going to have another hole put in it. Even though things are slowing showing some progress, the Drs believe it will take awhile for them to come back completely. I have too much bile coming out of my stomach and intestions that make me very nauseous and then have to vomit. That is why the stomach tube will be used for decompression, meaning I can clamp or drain depending on how I feel.

They don't want to use the jejunum part of the tube to feed me tube feedings, because they feel it would put too much stress on my intestines, so I will be going home on nighttime IV TPN feedings. I will not be eating right away until bowel function improves quite a bit. I may get to have clear liquids, jello, popsickles, etc.

There is a company that provides the TPN feedings and all the equipment I will need. I will be getting these feedings during the night while I sleep. Believe me when I say this is not how I wish I was going home. But, I am so anxious to get out of the hospital that I will do just about anything I have to do to get home.

The goal is to get out of here Sat., but anything could happen, so I am keeping am open mind if it gets pushed back to Monday.  I thank you all for the love and support, I couldn't have made it without you. Stay tuned, I hope the next blog is written from  home in the comfort of my old recliner............Deb

6 comments:

  1. That news sounds so amazingly promising! Take it from a girl who lived with a PICC line and nightly TPN for 3 months a few years ago----you can do it!
    I am so glad the NG is out and that the motility is starting to come back. I admire you for your positive attitude.
    Ellen J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are finally making plans to head home. That must be such a relief. I will watch for the actual post that you are home.
    Debbie S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray, maybe see you Sunday ? Don't want to overdo it , Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallelujah!!

    Will continue to pray for complete healing. But coming home is a big step forward.....
    Take Care,
    Duane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo happy you get to come home. I will keep my fingers crossed!
    Looking forward to good reports!XO Another neighborhood Deb (B.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to you coming home. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Vickie

    ReplyDelete