Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Day off from Chemo (should have been #12)

Hi All, thanks Stan for doing the update last night. A few days ago, I wrote that I thought they forgot to put the chemo drugs in my last batch, well, guess what, it has caught up with me. I can hardly get up off the couch. I am really dragging, and I don't like it. My brain wants to go, but my body says no. My White blood count is down to 2.4, my Hemaglobin is down to 8.5 and my platelets are 72,000. The platelets did go up a little. I will have my big chemo day next week. I asked her if that means I will go longer into Jan. with my treatments. Amber (the chemo nurse) says that they will check my CA-125 on Dec. 20. If I am not in the normal range at that time, I will have 3 more treatments.   If I am in the normal range, they will do a CT scan the first week of Jan. and see what I look like inside.

So at least I know the plan now. I am really kind of glad to have today off. I really need to regain a little strength so I can walk into that Lions Game on Thursday. There are over 20 of us going to the game, and then I think we will have 41 for dinner back at my brother and sister-in-laws house in Plymouth. I am so excited to see everyone. People are coming in from all over the country, OK, VA, KY, WI, MI,IL...

I am having some new chemo side effects. My tongue is VERY sensitive and has some blisters on it. I cannot eat vinaigrette dressing any more. It feels like it is eating away at my tongue. Also, certain spices really burn. I realized that when I was eating with some friends. I was dying and sucking on ice, and I asked if anyone else thought the pizza was really spicy. They said no, so then the light bulb went off...It's my tongue, a "rapidly replicating cell" type area that the chemo is attacking. I also, really can't taste anything. Pretty much everything tastes like cardboard or metal. I certainly won't be enjoying the TASTE of the turkey this year, but I will be enjoying the company.

Thanks Sandy for dinner last night. I know Stan wrote it last night, but I want to also tell everyone that I am so thankful for all your expressions of love and support since this whole journey began. I do appreciate and read every email, facebook message and comments on the blog. I am blown away by the cards I still seem to get most days. I feel loved and I know that prayers are going up on my behalf, and being answered. I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!!

4 comments:

  1. hey deb! i wondered if you would get the "day off" today and now i see u do. just want u to know i am "praying my head off" for you and that God will send healing your way!! u are so often in my thoughts and prayers, on the way to work this am i was wondering if you'd have day 12 of chemo or have it off, then i prayed, again, for God to be close to you and to please heal you!! i pray for your whole family and close friends as they "minister to you". it's tough watching someone you love so very much go thru what u are going thru! i am sorry your taste isn't there, what a sweet day it will be when that returns:) so much we take for granted huh?? may God bless your thanksgiving day, i will thinking and praying for you and your family!! love u, mary leeuw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie thinking of you...and hoping you are feeling better....you picked a great game to go too....I hope to go next year.....lily sends her love too...and a newfie kiss to you and Stan...and of course Mieke....take care my friend....love ya...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving!!! Pray that you are able to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, I hope all the family has a great Thanksgiving and a Fantastic day! Gary had the mouth and tongue issues too. Gary got a mouthwash Rx and the doctor okayed him to take lysing (sp?). Both seemed to help. He complained of food tasting the same too. But it eventually went away. If you need anything, please give us a call. Deb & Gary

    ReplyDelete