Monday, November 21, 2011

Living for Thanksgiving

Stan Here:
It has been a while since I have had the chance to write.   Deb asked me to post tonight so I hope I have all the facts right.  We always try to post the good stuff but most times when I do the writing it means that we had a little tougher day.  Many of you know that Tuesday around here is Chemo day and for the first time since this all started some of the blood counts were too low to get the chemo treatment on Tuesday.  We are told that this is not all that unusual but still with the low counts comes some "tired all the time" problems.  She did go out with some friends tonight but I think she had to force herself out the door.  They go out once a month on Monday and I do not think she wanted to miss it. It falls in the category of doing all you can do every day.

I was North this weekend sitting in the woods. I no longer call it deer hunting as it has been some years since the deer have been threatened.  I had some other stuff to do up there to close the place for the winter so I did not sit out there very long.  While I was gone some nice stuff took place on Sunday.  Ross and Rumy played again at our church.  I think they are scheduled three more times before the end of year.  Our friends Ken and Joan came to see them. Mieke leads a kids singing group and they also sang at this service.  I heard it all went well and now I am sorry I missed it.  Then in the afternoon Ross had a performance with the GRS at Central Reformed in GR.  Ross played his Piccolo trumpet for this and Deb attended this as well.  I think it has been about as long as I can remember that Deb missed a concert and that has remained true in all the recent times.

Thanks also to Gary and Deb who brought over a nice taco bar yesterday and then three nice ice cream selections tonight. 

Shortly after Deb was diagnosed this summer she thought of some things she would really like to do in the event this disease did not allow her to enjoy things for a long period of time. One of those ideas was to attend a pro football game on Thanksgiving day.  So she and many of our family bought tickets to the Lions-Packers game.  This was before anybody even knew that the Lions were better this year than usual. Now I do not think you could even buy a ticket, but we have them and we are going and then afterwords having the traditional dinner at Jim and Nancy's.  Look for us at the game.  If the Lion's could pull out a victory that would be something.  It still should be a fun day no matter what the outcome.

Thanksgiving for me has always been my favorite Holiday.  It is kind of different this year.  We have plenty of worries and uncertainty while at the same time lots to give thanks for.  Thanks for all of your prayers, gifts and support.  They have made a big difference in our lives.  I gotta tell you that there was a time after the surgery that I gave some thought to the possibility that Deb would never make it to the game on Thanksgiving and now it looks like it is going to happen.  Lots to give thanks for around here.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Deb,

    Hope your night out with friends was fun! Have started packing...not my favorite thing to do, as you know. But its all worth it once I am on that plane headed for family and friends and fun! We do have much to be thankful for and much to keep praying for. We lift you up daily in prayer and are so thankful that you feel as well as you do.

    Love ya! See you soon,

    Krista

    PS Glad those deer still have all their antlers attached!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree stan, LOTS to give thanks for:) so glad she is this far in her fight! praise God for keeping her in His Hands! mary leeuw

    ReplyDelete