Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Double Digit Delight...... Chemo Day #10

Dear Friends and Family,

Some of you have already heard on Facebook and I thank you for all the wonderful comments, etc. My CA-125 test went down again from 110 to 92.4   As my friend Deb B. said, from 1003 to a radio station! Another good thing is that the Dr. did not feel the tumors behind my uterus on exam, as he had before, so these are both good signs that the chemo is doing what it is supposed to do, and prayers are being answered. I just about didn't get to have my chemo today because my platelets where down to 91, but the dr. said let's go ahead. I was afraid he would say come back another day. It is normal with weekly chemo to have low platelets, because your bone marrow just doesn't have a chance to rejuvenate.

I found out a few other things which people have asked me about. They will continue to do the Cancer Antigen blood test every 3 wks. It will never get down to 0, but they plan that it will get in the normal range which is below 35.  I will not have a CT scan until Jan. after my 18 wks of chemo is finished. I will also have a chest X-ray to make sure there is no spread to the lungs. At that time, depending on what it shows. If it looks like the cancer has shrunk and they can do more surgery to "debulk" the tumors. They will do it. My Dr. will not say one way or another, the nurse said she thinks there may be a good chance I will have more surgery.  I think mentally I will do better to plan on more surgery, rather than be shocked and disappointed when they tell me it's time to "go in" again.

The plan is then to continue doing the CA-125 test and when it starts going up, that is when they try more chemo drugs. I may have to be on the Avastin drug every 3 wks for the rest of my life. It decreases the blood supply to the tumors. So I feel better now at least knowing a kind of "plan".

Thanks Helen for driving me today, it was a yucky nasty day for driving. Thanks Aunt Margie for coming to visit me there also. Good to catch up.

I have a repeat EGD tomorrow at Zeeland Hospital. I have to be there at 6:45am. They need to recheck my ulcers to make sure they are healed. I didn't really think I needed to have this done, but when I asked my Dr. if he thought it really necessary, he said,"If you want to continue to receive chemo, you will." OK, enough said.

To catch up since I last blogged, I need to thank my wonderful sister-in-laws, Lisseth and Miriam, who came last Sat. and helped clean and worked in my basement, a project that was not getting done on it's own. It was so kind of you to come on your day off!! Thanks for the fall hand towel too Miriam, so cute.

Stan and Mieke have worked hard raking and blowing the leaves to the street. It kills me not to be out there working with them, but I am just too tired and weak. I tried to do the blower for a couple minutes, and it felt like a TON. So I watch from inside and take pictures of them.

Thanks Barb for bringing over the delicious Apple Butter Bread from Crane's Orchard, it is wonderful!! Stan and I are loving the book too.

We had a great day Sunday, enjoyed having Ross and Rumy play at church. Mieke is going to try and download an mp3 recording of some of their playing for those of you in other states or countries and may be curious to hear them. They assure me that things are all set for them to walk at the MSU graduation ceremony on Dec. 9. Can't wait, Two Dr. Hoksbergens.........
We were so happy that Stan's parents were able to attend the service to hear the kids. Shirley got a wheelchair ride from the car and into the service. I know it is not the easiest thing to humble yourself to ride in a wheelchair, but she was a real trooper and knew it best, not to tire herself out walking all the way.

We were blessed to be delivered a wonderful brunch meal by Anne and Ted, so we were able to have everyone over for a great meal after church. Thank you so much, it was so good!! Since I don't have to expend the energy with meals, I took a Vicodin for some abd pain, and we were able to attend the GR Symphony performance that Ross played in at 3pm. It was Disney movies tunes, with 4 singers from Broadway who sang and danced across the stage. Very fun and enjoyable!

Had blood work done on Monday, and then got to have a fun lunch with old grade school friends in Hastings. I did not feel my best that day, but sure was better being with friends then sitting home feeling yucky.

Terri brought a great Chicken Articoke casserole over. I am so glad you included that recipe and article from the magazine. I know that woman on the picture and Pam Molenhouse whose house was featured in the magazine is a friend. I LOVE that dish. I hope you don't mind, I am saving it for a family get together. It is soooo good, thank you so much.

Well, I need to take my Ambien for sleep, I am kind of hyper from the Decadron, . Good night all!!

2 comments:

  1. Good morning, sis. And with encouraging news like this, it IS a good morning. So happy to learn more about future plans. But, even better knowing we head back to MI in less than 2 weeks to see you and the rest of the family. Can't wait. Autumn in Tulsa is quite an improvement over summer. Hope you have a good week. Love you. Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Debbie I am so excited for you....you look great.....and I am so excited that you will have two Dr's from MSU.....in the family yahoo....you knew I would say that....hugs to all....know you are in my thoughts all of the time.....

    ReplyDelete