Sunday, June 3, 2012

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

Stan Here: I have never been quite sure how the the title of this post got started. I am not sure I understand all that much about weddings, but I want to use it as a springboard to talk a little about the wedding that took place this weekend for our daughter Mieke and her new husband Aaron. Let me start this way. For those of you that have followed these postings you know that the outcome of Deb's medical progress had something to do with the energy and plans that revolve around any event that takes place in our family. In this case many people had come forward and offered to assist us in the things needed to carry out the event of the wedding of our only daughter. I think the tendency of many of us is to refuse the help, we are OK, we can do this etc. In our case Deb and Mieke decided to enlist the assistance of many who had offered and what took place was a fine wedding event that involved friends, family, pastors, musicians, kids, teachers, fathers, sons, in laws, grandparents and  about anything else that you can think of to make for a fine event.

 In this case everything kind of came together and the result was a fine evening that gave strong meaning to us. Allow me to offer a few highlights. I am writing this at 4 in the morning preceding a business trip so the risk is leaving something out. Forgive if this happens. I would be remiss if I did not tell you the the financial burdens of our recent medical situation had impacted our ability to provide the wedding of every girls dreams. It sometimes takes a village and in this case the village came around us and from what I have heard it did turn out to be a night that could be in dreams. I list the highlights and the thank yous in no order and I must leave out names.

 Again blogger profile warns that listing names could impact security. I hope though for the participants you know who you are. We thank those who offered to assist in the set up of the reception area. The decorating and the work our friends provided to make this a very unique set up. Let me say that the workers in that hall had never seen a set up quite like it and and the compliments that were directed to the work and flavor of the event were really fun for us to hear. Also, we were responsible for taking it all down after it was over and many friends, and relatives offered to help us with this. People that stay till midnight on Friday to clean the deal up are good friends. Thank you. We had a friend who worked many hours and provided the cakes for the events. She did an amazing job and worked endless hours to provide a very interesting variety of unique cakes. She did this as a gift to the kids. One of the finer and unique gifts that can be given. It was well done and truly appreciated.

 The teacher who mentored Mieke this past year offered to have the 4th grade class she worked in come and sing at the wedding. He played the piano and the kids sang during the ceremony "He has made me glad". It was very well done and very unique. The parents of those kids came and some of them even brought a gift. Mieke cried as she opened them the next day. It was very touching to see this and I think it is the first time I have seen children perform at a wedding like this. It was cool the way it was done.

 A friend provided a ride from the wedding to the reception for Mieke and Aaron in a vintage car. He dressed in a chauffeur outfit. It was raining and I am not sure this car had been wet before. The people made a line from the church to the car with sparklers. It all helped the day seem kind of fun and unique. The car was a 55 or 57 convertible Chevy (I am not a car expert but it was neat). Thank you.

 Several of the pastors we have encountered in our lives gave strong contributions to some of the ideas for the ceremony. One suggestion was to have 4 people give a short reflection during the ceremony and as it turned out this seemed to me to be a strong part of event. Mieke chose carefully who she wanted to do this and they did it well. This pastors husband also sang at the wedding and we are still receiving comments on how well this was done. She also did a strong series of per-marital counseling for Mieke and Aaron. Many hours spent and much good leadership. Thank you.

We had a former pastor pray at the opening of the reception. He used the song the kids sang at the service as a theme for his prayer and it just seemed to get the whole thing going good.

 I also must thank my children. Alden an Mary acted as MC's and provided many things for the reception. They really helped the event and worked very hard. I think Alden underestimated the amount of beer a bunch like this could drink so he did have to make an emergency trip to the store to supplement the supply. Never underestimate what a bunch of religious people can do. Thank you Alden and Mary. Nice job!!!!

Mieke and Aaron did a dance that was kind of special. They had kept this a secret but somehow I might try to post it next time. It kind of made the place rock a little. Not sure it will go "viral" but you never know. For me it was special.

 Ross and Rumy worked hard on the music and it seemed to me that for their sister they turned it up a little. Rumy kind of sits in the background on this stuff but I watched her during the ceremony and she really has to be on her toes and had to play a lot. Many have commented on the music. It is a rich privilege to have this available within our family. We are very proud of them and all they have done and accomplished.

 At one point during the reception the people gave Deb a standing ovation for her accomplishment of just being there. This was a special moment that I think touched all. I am kind of worried that this whole post might kind of sound wrong. Yes it is true that I am both glad and proud of the event. But I trust that you all get the message that it would not have possible without the help of many. For this I am truly thankful. I am hoping Deb can add some to this and cover a few things that I have left out. She did this update last week and the whole thing got lost somehow. I have to leave now on the trip.

Thank you all for your continued interest. Not sure we had something blue, but we had plenty of things borrowed, somethings old, and somethings new. Talk to you next time. Thanks Stan (no time to edit so forgive mistakes)

8 comments:

  1. Stan! The car was blue (ish)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. How could I have missed that. Mieke said they had a nice conversation on the way to the party with their chauffer

      Delete
  2. Stan,
    Words cannot completely convey what a BEAUTIFUL wedding it was! You captured it well. It was not only because of the beautiful bride, groom, family, friends and location, but there was an "aura", a blessed "feeling" inside the church and at MidTown. So many compliments were voiced all night long. Congratulations to the happy couple AND ALSO to you, Debbie, Ross, Rumy, Alden and Mary for giving Mieke what is surely the "wedding of her dreams" (and Aaron's as well;)
    Karen K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats all!! Sounds like a perfect wedding day:) So happy for this awesome blessing for your family! Deb...good luck tomorrow and prayers are being said for you. Love, Sara T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Stan the Man,
    Thanks for posting! I have been looking all weekend for an update that would give some info on how the wedding came off. More pictures, please!

    Deb, I am so happy that you received that standing ovation, because you deserve it. When I think back a few months, to how great your struggle was to just overcome all of the surgical complications, I am amazed and thankful to God for the healing that has occurred in your life.

    Mieke and Aaron are blessed to have the two of you as parents, and Mieke's big brothers and their wives came through to make her special day even more special. All of this makes for a true storybook wedding!!

    Ed and I had dinner this weekend with his Uncle Art and Aunt Judy and we had one of those "small world" moments. Your good friends, Linda and Dave, are related to Judy through her mom's side of the family. I think I told you before that I lived in a house with 5 other student nurses in college, and Linda's sister, Patty, was one of them. You have so many people praying for you!
    Ellen Jongsma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, how intersting that Ellen is so connected to our family. Small world.
    The wedding was SO wonderful. The piano prelude was such a classy start and then when Ross started to play along with Rumy, I knew I was experiencing a piece of heaven. Such a gifted couple that put their heart, soul and talent into the music for a special sister and brotherinlaw.

    And Grandpa Al Hoksbergen was GREAT!!! He had a way of not only personalizing the ceremony, but putting everyone at ease, capturing the joy of the Lord in his message and direction to these grandchildren in this wedding celebration.

    The first dance by Mieke and Aaron should go viral. It was fun and well choreographed - I loved it.

    The standing ovation for Deb was inspiring. We knew that we were seeing a miracle and felt God's spirit surrounding us.
    We will not stop praying.

    We have been so blessed by your family. Thankyou for your love and support.
    Love Linda and Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb - I LOVE the orange flowers!!! It all just looks beautiful - we are so excited for all God has planned for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops - sorry Deb - the last message at 1227 was from Niki Heil :)

    ReplyDelete