Thursday, December 8, 2011

Chemo Day #13 Thursday for a change

Hi Everyone, You know I am feeling better, it's the first time in a while I even had the gumption to write anything. I am sitting in my recliner getting chemo. Thanks to Laurie, (Aaron's mom) and my friend who took me today. We have lots of fun talking about our kids, the wedding and dreaming about our future grandkids. Laurie is so good at keeping me stocked with vitamins, iron, cold meds etc. I do so appreciate this.

My chemo nurses told me today that I look SO MUCH better today than I did on Tues. So it is a good thing we waited, and I got the unit of blood yesterday. That went very well at Holland Hospital in the ambulatory care unit. I was there for about 3 1/2 hrs. They took good care of me, even fed me a lunch tray. It is a strange thing getting blood for the first time in ones life. I have administered it to patients so many times, but this time it was for me. I always used to donate blood, and now I am glad someone gave me some of theirs.

I am now continuing this writing at home on the couch. It is a beautiful clear day, and I am thankful for the sunshine. There were a few snow flurries for a minute we saw out the window at chemo. I have canceled almost all my plans for the next week. I am going to really try and get over this cold, so I can enjoy Christmas.

We also made a big decision regarding Friday night. Ross and Rumy have decided to postpone walking for their graduation until spring. They had decided to move it up to December just for me, to make sure I was able to see them graduate with their DMA (doctor of music arts) degrees. Because I am not feeling well, have this cough and limited energy, we are going to look forward to that event on May 4. Ross said the speaker will be better at that graduation event. I was looking forward to this, but it will be very special in May, because they will really be ALL DONE!!

I need to catch up on a few thank yous since I last blogged. My friend Marcia brought dinner over last Wed. Stan was not going to be home until later that night, so I asked if she wanted to stay and eat with me. It was quite a sight, a couple of "baldies" enjoying dinner together. I love my Woof Poof angel Marcia, she joins the angel collection set out for Christmas.

Thanks to Candy for dinner last Friday, it was wonderful. Mieke made some muffins and brought them over to our new neighbors two doors down. We will miss Jim and Lori who built a new house on the north side. We moved in within 2 days of each other 23 yrs ago. We raised our kids together, attended their weddings, births of grandkids, hundreds of three mile walks, mission trips to Europe, snowmobile weekends, the list goes on and on. We will still be friends, just not two doors down :(

Karen thanks for the DeBoer bread and cookies. You are a great friend, thanks for keeping tabs on me.
A huge thank you to Judy for the generous gift certificate to Crazy Horse. We will love using it!

Sunday, I finally had to get off the couch to attend church where Ross and Rumy were worship leaders. So enjoyed having them use their talents to enhance our worship. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast after church at The Biscuit, a gift of the owners. Thanks so much Tracy!

Dave and Nancy brought over an amazing dinner Sunday evening. The brisket was wonderful, thanks so much. Turns out we were both going to Vespers at 5pm that night. Thanks Jane for my ticket, it always gets me into the Christmas spirit attending that service. I could have enjoyed it more if I felt better, and I had to fight off a coughing jag, but I made it through. Thanks Vickie for bringing over the raspberry sherbet and the candy cane to help get the metallic taste out of my mouth, you are so sweet.

Monday I was signed up for a Cancer Society session "Look Better, Feel Better". I felt so awful, I thought about canceling, but, then thought maybe I would feel better, if I looked better. They give you this bag full of make up and teach you how to use scarves and hats. I did look a little better with some make up on, but I sure still felt lousy. When I got home, there was a gift bag from Deb B. In it was the cutest pink knit cap and also a little Christmas ornament, a white sweater with a teal (ovarian cancer) ribbon on it. Thanks Deb, it is on my tree!


Thanks Mary Lou for the chicken tetrazzini and the talk.

I feel like I am wearing out my leather love seat sitting on it so much.
I did finish a book given to me by David Blau, the caplain at Holland Hospital. It is entitled The Anatomy of Hope, How People Prevail in the Face of Illness. It was written by an oncologist about patients he has treated and how hope and emotional outlook affects a pts prognosis. I do believe this.

I thank everyone for their kind comments and support during this "sick time". I covet your prayers. I really want to get over this virus. I believe I am on the rise. Looking forward to the kids all coming home Sunday. Alden and Aaron both have birthdays on Sat. and then Mary's is Monday!

4 comments:

  1. hi deb, just get caught up on your blog, so sorry i did not know you were so sick! i am praying the worst is over and you will wake up tomorrow feeling somewhat like your "old self", if you know what i mean :) so glad to hear you are feeling some better after the transfusion! i will be in prayer that you will feel stronger again soon! love you, mary leeuw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Deb,

    It is afternoon and since I helped deliver meals and a Poinsettia from our church to Meals on Wheels clients, I finally read your blog for today. I got an e-mail from a friend in WA and she said your post sounded like you were feeling much better so I stopped what I was doing to share in this good news. Still decorating - currently putting out Carol Roeda's creche. Can't wait to see it all out again after many years in a box.

    If YOU haven't had time to read Libby's blog-be sure not to miss today's. One of her best, as far as dealing with cancer, in my humble Mom opinion.

    I hope next year our family can celebrate Christmas without including the word "cancer." But all in His time and in His will. God is good - all the time! All the time - God is Good!

    And I celebrate you, your great attitude and feeling better. We look forward to seeing you in Hawaii next month!!!

    Love you,

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie I am so glad you are feeling better.....Newfie kiss from Lily and a hug from Char....love ya....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, you missed Gary by a day. He was getting his transfusion on Thurs. @ Holland Hosp. They have taken really great care of him there. He had a milestone too.....4 1/2 weeks since his last one. Hopefully, his bone marrow is starting to heal. You better take it easy and work on getting rid of your cold. You've got more important things for your body to work on healing. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call. Deb & Gary

    ReplyDelete