Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Chemo Day # 14

Just a quick update to let you know that I had chemo today. Everything went well and I was only there 2 1/4 hrs. Yeh!! Thanks Karen K. for taking me. It was so fun catching up with you, thanks for the chocolate bark and the Zoup bowl of soup.

I woke up this am and felt much better than I have been feeling. My throat didn't hurt as bad and I had more energy. Thanks goodness!! I am really ready to feel better. My labs today were OK, my Hgb was up a bit, but my WBC is kind of low, so they are thinking I may not be able to have chemo next week. So........I will have my CBC with diff done next Monday, and they will tell me what the decision will be. It's kind of like my week of Thanksgiving, if I have to have a week off, not bad to have Christmas off.

Thanks so much to Anna and Norm who brought over a wonderful dinner last night. It was delicious. Loved the Christmas cookies too. My favorite baker Gorgeous Gayle delivered the best  apple bread with caramel and nuts on the top. Too Good!

Jackie made up the cutest Irish coffee mugs with Cappuccino Mix in them for me to give out for Christmas gifts this year. I gave my chemo nurses a couple today. They loved them. Thanks so much Jackie for doing this!!

I found out today that Rainbow International, a cleaning service in town is offering me 4 free cleanings of our house. This is a service that they offer through the American Cancer Society. So nice!! That is starting on Thursday.

I had a fun surprise visit from Amy a co-worker of mine from the Boven Birth Center tonight. She brought me the cutest hand stitched star on a little wooden stand. The card with it said the following:
        Your twelve days of Christmas
            has now officially begun.
   BBC will be bringing you daily gifts
                -not just one.

        On the first day of Christmas
             BBC brings this star
              to let you know
      we so appreciate who you are!

What fun!!   I would love to share with you what comes next. I loved visiting with Amy and catching up with her. We first met 22 yrs. ago when I helped start a ministry at Beechwood Church called "Beacon Ministry". Amy was working as a nurse at the Migrant Health Center at that time. She and the other nurses there saw a real need to help supply maternity clothes, cribs, car seats, and newborn supplies to the large migrant population we have here in Holland. Jackie DeGroot and I met with Good Samaritan Center and they told us they hoped a church on the northside of Holland would feel called to meet this need. And the rest, as they say, is history, for 22 yrs. we have helped thousands of families. It is probably one of the things I am most proud of.

Stan's brother Roland had surgery in GR today to have his other ankle fused. He had his first one done this past summer with good results. The pain was getting very bad and he decided it was time to do the Rt. one. Just talked with him and so far so good. Not experiencing too much pain yet. Please say a prayer for healing and an uneventful recovery period. We will be having the Hoksbergen Christmas get together the week between Christmas and New Years when Roland will be a bit more mobile.

1 comment:

  1. We are thrilled to hear that you are starting to feel a little better, and so pleased that you have daily cheer from those around you. That's the amazing part of being diagnosed with cancer- you see how very much people care about you and your family. The thoughtful things they do- just so touching!!! Keep warm, and store up the goodness of the holidays. Love, Sue Vanderwagen

    ReplyDelete