Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Chemo Day # 16 Big Flakes in GR

Hi Everyone, had chemo this am. Everything went smoothly. My platelets were low, 55 and the cut off was 50 so that was close. My dear friend Joan took me today. Thanks Joan, so good to spend the am with you. The best part about this crazy cancer is that it renewed our friendship, and that is so special. Thanks for the lunch at Shiraz Grille, a Persian Restaurant in GR. It was great. I had a cup of wonderful lemon chicken soup and humus. I would recommend it to anyone looking to try a new kind of place.

The best part about chemo today was the beautiful giant snow flakes that were coming down the whole time I was in the recliner. It stopped when we were leaving, and nothing here in Holland. Crazy, Stan called it reverse lake effect.

We have had a couple of very relaxing days. Sunday we attended church at 11am. It was a great service, Mieke sang a beautiful song with a quartet and Ross and Rumy accompanied.  I loved the song, and hope I can get a copy of it.....Hint Hint Ginger :) Ross and Rumy had a few other wonderful pieces that added to worship, and then a big thanks to Norm for hauling our the timpani for the last big hymn. I said to Mieke that am, " I sure hope they use the Timpani today, so she requested it, and Norm made it happen. It adds so much! Thanks to our pastor Jim for the great sermons.

I think I agree with Alden when he said, I think Mom, this was our best Christmas ever! I know it was on my mind, and I know it was on the mind of lots other family members we didn't know if we would be celebrating together this year. I don't know if it was because my priorities are now so different, but I didn't get stressed about anything. Little things don't seem important, I didn't have to have things wrapped perfectly etc. Good enough was good enough. We had my parents and my in-laws and an old friend from church join us for left overs after church. It was a great day. We watched lots of public television concerts that day.

Monday Stan had off work, we went out for breakfast with my Mom and Dad to Russ'. Ran into some friends who had some extra coupons, so we ate pretty cheap. The sunshine was amazing on Monday, clear skies all day. We did stop at Dittos store, because all clothes were a $1. Stan got 3 pair of jeans, he was so proud of himself. We mostly went for 100% wool skirts and pants for my mother-in-law. She makes the most beautiful braided wool rugs with them. She gives them to all the grand kids when they get married. I hope she teaches Mieke that art, so we can continue the tradition. Everyone else went home, just Stan and I left at home, I was kind of tired and spent most of the day on the couch watching movies. 

 I have to tell you about a very special gift Mary and Alden gave to me. Before I got sick, I found this beautiful paint color called "hydrangea blue" in a magazine. I had wanted to paint my kitchen that color, but figured it wasn't going to happen any time soon with all this happening. Well, I received a gallon of that color paint along with them saying they were going to paint our kitchen while we are gone for the week in Hawaii. It hit me emotionally and I cried, wasn't that special??  The other kids all gave us such wonderful, thoughtful gifts too and help with our Hawaii fund. We leave on Wed. Jan.18 at 5pm to attend my nephew's wedding in Kauai. We will be gone for a week. We bought the tickets last June for a great deal. I am so excited to be able to go. I will have chemo that Tues. and then miss the next week. Please pray that I feel good and have some energy for traveling?? We are flying with my parents out of Grand Rapids to LAX and then spending the night there and the rest of the trip the next day.

I thank everyone again for their Christmas cards and letters. I have them all hung up and I enjoy them all. I hope you all had a special time with family and friends. Our plan is to go up north for New Years. I love sitting by the fire with a good book. I would love to have a little snow up there too.........Deb

1 comment:

  1. Hint taken, Deb. Glad you could be there to hear it. As I wasn't there, I didn't know it was Mieke singing! Yes, it was very nice. Check your email for the mp3.

    ReplyDelete