Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chemo Day #8

Hi, It's been a while since I blogged. I will try and catch you up with what I have been up to since last Friday. Had a fun lunch with church friends on Friday. We started that stitching group when Alden started Kindergarten, so that was 23 yrs. ago. Where has the time gone?

We had a wonderful time with my family in Plymouth. The performance of Carmina Burana was amazing. It is usually performed with just singers and orchestra. This performance also added action and dance and it featured incredible acrobats who have performed with Cirque du Soleil. We loved it!! Almost took your breath away the final act. Thanks again Jim and Nancy for your hospitality.

We celebrated my Father-in-laws birthday Sat. night with a great meal and all the siblings there. Stan's Mom is looking and doing better. Keep it up Shirley, we need you to keep making those crafts.

I did have kind of a rough week after my big round of chemo, headaches and felt pretty tired this weekend. I had what my chemo nurse calls a "jama" day Sunday. Never got dressed. She told me that was OK. I got some reading done, watched a movie, watched some travelogue movies, didn't move much off the couch.

Chemo went well today, only there 2 1/4 hrs. The shortest time yet. Thanks Jodi for taking me. We'll miss you this winter while you are in Florida. My fellow chemo patient Tammie came over with her IV pole today, made me stand up and taught me how to do the "happy dance". Both of our CA-125 counts were better!! Thanks for your inspiration Tammie.  My white blood counts were up a bit too, which is good. I think this is a direct result of all the candles and prayers that were said for me throughout Europe. I happen to have some good friends who emailed me that they were lighting candles in all the cathedrals in Italy they went to, and then I got a note from a dear friend, who has been traveling for a month in Barcelona, Vienna, London and she also said that she and her husband offered a prayer in all those towns. Thanks Karen and Chuck and Anne and Ted, so kind of you.

Need to thank Linda for the great dinner Sunday, Susan for the pumpkins muffins and being such a great mentor for Mieke. Lori your carmel cake was to die for, thanks for your calls and concern.

Brandi, thanks for your meal, so kind of you to care for me when I know you are busy with four little ones of your own. I love your method of keeping the kids happy in the van with movies and blankets while you deliver the food. You are teaching those kids by example.

Naomi, so good to catch up with you again. Congrats on your marriage. He is a lucky guy. Thanks for the tulips and the goodies.

Jodi, thanks for the Wild Chef night out, so generous of you. Have to thank my sister Krista for the S & P gift certificate and thanks to your church in Tulsa for sending me all those CD's of their church choir. I will love listening to them!

We are having fun with some early wedding plans. Please know that the date is Oct.13, 2012 here in Holland. Of course Mieke wants everyone in town to come. She and Aaron were supposed to have some engagement pictures taken yesterday, but he got a black eye in a rugby match. We are kidding him, that he didn't have to go to such extremes to not have his picture taken.

I have been celebrating all week the wonderful news that the chemo must be working. Thanks for all your kind words regarding that and for the care and concern over Spencer. We are still sad and we miss him terribly, but it is getting easier every day.

Our sympathy goes out to Aaron's family today. His Grandma, who was 90 yrs old. passed away today. Laurie and Conrad and your whole family, please know that we are thinking about you all and praying for you. She was a true matriarch and will be deeply missed. The funeral will be on Sat. and we are looking forward to meeting Aaron's relatives coming in from Texas and Colorado. Safe travels everyone.

Just want you all to know that if you made warm things for my feet, I am wearing them, if you gave me hats for my bald head, I am using them, if you gave me books to read, I am reading them, if  you gave us food to eat, we are eating it. It you gave me prayer shawls, quilts, blankets or stuffed toys to snuggle with, I am doing that too. All your expressions of love and concern have been so humbling I don't know what to say, other than thank you so much. It is what keeps me going, staying positive and ready to beat this cancer!! Deb

2 comments:

  1. So thankful and happy to hear that the chemo is already showing it is working!! That is wonderful news. We will keep you in our prayers -- you are such an inspiration, walking this journey with such grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great with Spencer in this picture.....I think the world is Praying for you....which I think is awesome....take care my friend....char and lily.....

    ReplyDelete