Thursday, October 20, 2011

Goodbye Spencer.....

We changed our blog picture because we want you all to see our precious little Yorkie Spencer. We had him put to sleep this am. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. He was almost 14 yrs old. He was the best dog we could ever have wanted. We buried him in our backyard in a shoebox that Mieke had decorated in 3rd grade as a time capsule that she opened when she graduated as a senior in high school. We thought it was appropriate because Spencer was really her dog. We wrapped him up in a special velor cheetah blanket that was make by Jackie. He used to sleep on it. We also put in a few of his favorite treats, and a chewy rawhide. We decided to take off his collar and his Halloween scarf to keep. I used to think people were crazy when they got so upset when their pet died. But, that was before I had gone through it myself.  Mieke and I have got sore eyes and headaches now, but we will be OK. Thanks for all the kind words on emails and Facebook.

Tomorrow Stan and I are going to Detroit to attend a performance of Carmina Burana at the Detroit Opera House. My wonderful "little" brother Jim bought tickets for us all to attend it when he first heard it was coming to town. He knew it was my favorite because I played the piano with my high school choir and Ann Arbor Pioneer HS choir along with both schools orchestras at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor. It has always brought back such fond memories and I thank you Jim from the bottom of my heart. I need something to look forward to after this day.

Dinner was brought over by my friend Deb S. who along with her husband organizes the mission trips to Honduras that Mieke and I have gone on. They are very special people and those trips were life changing for us. I still would like to go on one again..........

Thanks to my friend from church Barb who just delivered the book "King's Cross" by Timothy Keller. It says it is the story of the world in The Life of Jesus. I can't wait to read it, thanks so much Barb.

Jill and Candy are taking me to lunch tomorrow at Salt and Pepper, so nice.......Hopefully the tears will stop by then. Thanks for letting me vent. Deb



Hi everyone, it's Mieke. Yes, as my mom said, it has been a very hard day. I don't think I have ever done anything that difficult in my life. The whole family is really broken up about Spencer not being here anymore. I keep looking at the floor and wishing he was lying at our feet like he always did. He was very loved. The kind of dog who rode in a "pooch pouch" on my dad's chest all the way to the beach and back every week or so. The kind of dog who made everyone laugh with his signature "bang" trick. He made us smile every single day. My mom would always ask him "Spence, why are you so cute?" Grandpa V. always said "Good little puppy....that's a good little puppy" as Spencer lay for hours in his lap. I came into my house every day looking forward to my little puppy greeting. Last night I came in from church and he ran right up to me. First time he has done that in a long time, I think he knew I need a little extra love. Many of you know that Spencer's tongue always stuck out of his mouth just a little, today we rode to the vet, cozy on his back, tongue out and fell asleep the entire ride. I think he was ready to go, but that doesn't make this any easier. Thanks for all the kind things you have said, it has made us feel better through all of this. Goodbye puppy, I still can't believe that you are gone.

On a happy note, we want to celebrate with our nephew Kayle and his wife Angie on the birth of their baby Caleb yesterday. They live in Seattle. We are so thrilled for you guys and can't wait to meet him. 

9 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to you all Emma will show Spencer where everything is in Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your lost of Spencer. :0(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spencr is no longer with us. Hard to believe. But who could ever forget that faithful little friend. Always loved him. I recall his special treat for being a special friend was a little taste of something I think we called "Mighty Dog." That fit him to a tee. Grandpa H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spencer was the sweetest little dog. I remember when you first got him. I was afraid I would step on him and crush him - he was so little. I am SO sorry for this loss for all of you.
    Love and tears from Linda Breen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spencer would often stay with us when the Hoksbergens went on vacation. When they would come home, he would 'cop an attitude' and ignore them for a while when they came to get him. He would sit on my lap and avoid looking at them, but eventually he would 'forgive' them for having fun without him. He was so special! Many people enjoyed dog-sitting with him--I had to make a reservation to make sure I would get him for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's devastating to lose a faithful pet. We've lost a couple to the "Rainbow Bridge." So sorry. . . .Sue Vanderwagen

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am so sorry to hear about your loss!! i feel your pain and sadness, we have had to do that to a total of 3 dogs and it is awful!! i hope each day the pain diminishes and u can enjoy talking about how fun he was without so much sadness! God gives us so much and pets are one of the best gifts, those little buggers ARE family!! mary leeuw
    deb, ck the hospital email, i replied to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear about Spencer. I remember when you first got him and you brought him over- tiny thing that he was. Seems like just yesterday. My dogs will share in your sorrow, as we walk by your house and they won't have anything to sniff. Thinking of you- as dogs give us soooo much joy. Deb B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it amazing how that little furry can give us so many wonderful days and memories? And what a difference it makes when they are gone. Thanks be to God for all our furry friends. I didn't know your Spencer but I know how I miss my Peabody. June Hinkle

    ReplyDelete