Sunday, October 9, 2011

The gift of a nice day

Stan here:

For the people that live outside of this state let me tell you that we have had a 5 day stretch of weather that is about second to none. About 70-75 degrees, no wind, all sun and about as good as it can get in the State of Michigan at this time of year.  Plus, we had the chance to do something kind of fun this weekend.  Friends (neighbors from years back) own a condo right on the water in Douglas. They offered to let us use it for a change of scenery.  So on perhaps the two most pristine days I have ever seen we took them up on this.  A view of the water, people outside, and perhaps some of the nicer decorating I have ever seen on the inside of the place made it a really nice weekend.  In their bedroom they have a really nice painted picture of their boys so when I woke up in the morning I had the chance to reflect on younger years and bring back some memories of some good times. We just got home and Barb brought over a really nice quiche with some other stuff. I know the old saying real men do not eat quiche but I did not have any problem with just eating a couple of the pieces. Thanks Barb!

When we were at the condo some friends of ours, Mark and Laura, visited us. She had a neat book on a recent trip they made to the Netherlands and I read this thing from cover to cover.  I might make another post on my blog about the experience our family had over there. It just brought back a bunch of thoughts and I kind of feel like writing about it again.

But how is Deb?  She had a nice weekend but still has some trouble with the nagging feeling of just not feeling right.  She has adjusted real well to the loss of her hair and looks good in her wig.  But the things kind of squeezes her head and is just a little bit of a pain..  She and I wandered around Saugatuck this morning and she held my hand just like all the other people walking around.  The one unique thing is that we were the only man women combination that was doing this..

Deb had a nice visit from a classmate from years ago. His name is Bill  and he drove all the way down here from Reed City.  He brought some really good stuff and they had a nice visit.  Bill has recently taken up the game of golf and I am anxious to get out with he and his wife who also likes to play.  When Deb and he were in school together they had kind of a tight knit group and all of those classmates have maintained a relationship ever since.

Our good friend Karen brought 2 nice arrangements of roses. One for Deb and one for Mieke to celebrate her recent engagement. They are beautiful!!  Her aunt and uncle Al and Cora visited and also brought some nice flowers.  We have many memories of them. During the college years they would have us over on Sunday afternoon each week for dinner. It sure beat the food they were serving at school and we have always enjoyed being around them.

Maggie's mom Louisa brought a handmade knit red cap over.  As I am writing now Deb is wearing it. So kind of you. She looks pretty good but my feelings are that she has always looked pretty good in whatever she throws on.  We have been married 36 years.  If I figure it right 13,140 days at least have been spent together.  You know something. As far as I am concerned she has always looked good.  And as many times as I can remember I have told her this. "Deb you look good today".  And today is no exception. 

Thanks to all.................

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stan, Deb is so lucky to have you as her husband. Your humor, love and devotion are surely a huge part of why she is handling this journey with such grace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. who needs to wear a wig anyway....a knitted cap works or a big floppy hat or nothing at all....it is ok....we love you Debbie....if you need Lily and I to shave our heads we will.....lily sends a huge we newfie kiss.....

    ReplyDelete