Saturday, December 22, 2012

Eve of yet another Surgery...........

When things have been as crazy and unpredictable as the past month has been, it gets a little comfusing who you have told what to and when. So thank goodness for this blog, which I will now update on the latest.

Unfortunately, the surgery on Nov. 26 did not work. The area where they reattached my large intestine formed adhesions, or scar tissue, but whatever the case, it just never opened up to have a chance of working. They finally came to this diagnosis with a Small Bowel Follow through test using Barium. After pretty much all day on an xray table and even more xrays taken in my bed, it finally showed that the Barium was just not getting through, in fact the Barium was coming through one in my abcess drains,  Kind of gross, I felt a bit like the Incrdible Hulk with Green junk  coming from my body. Sorry if that is just too much information for some.

I am receiving my 4th bag of packed red blood cells now to get my body a bit more ready for surgery. My Hgb was down to 7 .   I felt better after they pulled my one tube out of my nose this am. Still have the NG tube in place hooked up to intermittent suction. I took a shower this am and that really helped me feel like a person again.. My parents came to visit and Mieke had thrown in a bag a Santa hat which I wore most of the day.

My one big dissappointment today was they were unable to successfully place an epidural in my back for pain relief after my surgery tomorrow. They had a real hard time getting the cath placed, and then when they went to do the test dose, you guessed it. It must have been in a blood vessel because I had all the bad signs that we watch for every time I help with a labor epidural, ringing in the ears, heart racing etc etc. He offered to try again, but after all that, I took it as a sign it was just not meant to be.
I am not quite sure were this run of "bad Luck" or whatever you call it is coming from. I know I am so fortunate to have no signs of cancer now, and I am so fortunate to have so many people praying and caring for me, but I am just at a loss as how to take all this, other than it is a lesson in patience and whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So if that is true everyone, you had better watch out because I will liturally be as strong as the Incredible Hulk if I make it out of here.

My Vermeulen Family Christmas party was today starting at 3pm. It was fun being included by facetiming on our phones. It was at my youngest brother Ken and his wife Shelly's house in Rockford. Not everyone was there but a houseful, and with the looks of the food and goodies, it looked like a good time was had by all. Three of the four pregnant grandkids were there, so next year will really be different. Little Drake, 3 yrs old now and his mommy is due in a month. He was so cute helping anyone who wanted help opening their gift, but then most content entertaining himself with his new motorcycle.

I think I may get a few of the party people stopping by tonight.

Some of you may be wondering the same thing myself and my family is wondering? How do you know it will work this time?? Only faith, the Dr. did say they would not use staples this time, but hand stich the annastomosis. He also said they would use "fresh sections " of bowel to help improve the prognosis of it working . Other than those things, what else can we do but pray ?? So again, I covet your prayers and someday we will look back at this crazy time and say "remember when" ?? I really long for those days. Christmas with our immediate family my have to be pushed backed a little, big deal.  I think Ross and Rumy are playing a little in church tomorrow and Christmas Eve. Again I am so thankful for the livestream (although I may be down in surgery) and have to miss something, rats!!

Until next time. I love you all!!, Deb

6 comments:

  1. All I can say is wow. It was hard to read all of this, and I'm not the one going through this. I hope you come out out of this surgery with lightning speed. You will remain in my thoughts and prayers. I hope for some good news tomorrow.It can be our Christmas Miracle.
    Debbie S

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing, my dear! I am so glad to hear from you again...the silence of the past two days was deafening, not knowing how you were. Nothing seems to be easy for you, does it? But you still keep on keeping on, with your wonderful attitude. You will have quite the stories to share with your grandchildren some day, and they, too, will be inspired by you.
    We will be sending our prayers to you tomorrow that your surgery be successful this time, and that your recovery be quick. Anything will be considered quick if it's less than 3 weeks!
    Much love, Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb:
    You have been such an inspiration to all of us who follow your blog..... You've got numerous prayer warriors, so rest assured that your situation will resolve in the way that God has already planned!

    You will continue to be in my prayers.
    Hang in there, and don't be discouraged!
    This will all be a blessing of the past soon, and an insightful story to tell your grand kids someday! :-)

    Jill DV

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there. It must be difficult.
    But, hanging on to the phrase " No evidence of cancer " is a great gift. I am sure you think back to the time you were told about an unsure prognosis (opening up and closing due to the overwhelming amount of cancer).
    This will soon be just a memory of how life is hard and how you preserved through it with faith in God. Praying for you daily (or more)
    Til later
    Love your friend Tammie Schermer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you, too, Deb. Can't even imagine what it is like to go through all this, and the "why" is certainly a question I have been asking as well! Praying and wishing and hoping that the good times start again with your surgery today. God Bless!

    Margaret Buckley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb,

    You don't know me, so hopefully it isn't weird that I'm reading your blog. (I'm Adam Fredericks' sister, linked here via Karen Kohlruss.) Anyhow, I thought if comments and emails are read and appreciated, maybe I ought to leave one instead of just lurking and praying in secret. :) My prayer for you today, in addition to a successful, complication-free surgery, is that the LORD our God would be your Shield, your Glory, and the Lifter of your head. Lookig forward to hearing a good report. :)

    ReplyDelete