Monday, December 10, 2012

Not an Abscess, just fluid filled

I thought I would title this post that way, because it is clear bloody drainage which means it is not an infection, just fluid causing lots of pressure and as the drain works with accordion type suction that hopefully the 'ol bowels will decide to start working sometime soon.

They never did tell me when I was scheduled, they just showed up at my room around 8:30 and said, time to go. Good thing I didn't have family that wanted to be here before I went down. Anyways, it went well, the drain is accually coming out from the area where my stoma used to be. It has been a bit tender there requiring IV pain med occ. I think I finally got rid of the fevers, being on two different Antibiotics since last night, that I can actually lay in my bed not shivering for the first time in two weeks. It did help me to have the Dr. explain that even though I have had fevers for the whole time here, It really would not have had a walled of pocket of fluid like it is now. Something they can drain, etc. It would just have looked like diffuse abdominal fluid everywhere.

So now if you want to know what to pray for, that the bile type fluid that is being sucked out of my stomach gets to be a lot smaller amt. That would means that things are flowing in the downward direction.
For getting rid of this NG tube!! They just don't dare pull it out for fear of having to reinsert it.
They have had to restart my peripheral IV again. they use such small 25 guage butterflies instead of angiocaths, they just don't last. They are not like L&D nurses who use 18 guages. (Now those are what are meant to stay working)

Just went to another jog around the hallways with Woody. Another sad Lions loss. Until tomorrow.....

Note from Stan: Deb wrote this in the middle of the night and I cannot figure out a few of the lines.  She has some pretty heavy pain stuff so I trust that you get the picture.  She had a nuch better day today.  Even had a few laughs today and a ride around the hospital with Jackie pushing the wheelchair.

6 comments:

  1. Deb, Katie was glad to see you. Praying for your healing; so glad that it is not an infection as thought. Love to you! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,

    CRAP!!!!! (Don't know if that's a verb or an expletive, but take it like you want to!) Continued prayers your way; hoping that things are flowing in the right direction!!!!! Claudia M. (BBC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our goal was to get to all of the hospitals that are connected by walkways! We got through one and into the second when Deb got a call on her cellphone that a doc was in her room and needed to see her 'right now'. So we had to cut our adventure short and return to her room. It was the first time she had been off the floor in 2 weeks, so she was excited to 'escape' for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb - The Peterson family is continuing to pray for you through this latest trial. We believe that God is good and for you even through these struggles. Thank you for praying for us through our transition as well. BTW - does your Woody say "There's a snake in my boot"? That actually happened to me a month or so ago here in Swaziland :) Only in Africa I guess. Love and prayers!

    Eric Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just curious...what causes the fever if no infection? (The micro person in me wonders) Just glad it is not infected and that things should be on the way to recovery mode.

    Love, your sister,

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  6. My best explanation is that there was this fluid build up which caused pressure and irritation in my body, causing mostly low grade temps. Just the stress of surgery can cause elevated temps. The final cultures are not back yet, but they don't see anything growing yet. Of course, because they did start me on something broad spectrum before they knew exactly what I might have, they will for sure send me home on something like Augmentum for two weeks. These are the infectious disease Drs.

    ReplyDelete