Saturday, December 8, 2012

Very Special Visitors



Carlos and Juve Mendoza are friends that I meet on my mission trips to Gracias, Honduras. They happened to be in the US and when Deb S. told them about my recent events and hospitalization they insisted on coming up and praying over me. Juve had breast cancer herself 11 years ago and is now cancer free and it is her mission to love and witness to other cancer patients. They feel so strong in the power of prayer, because all the other women that she was with during her chemo and radiation are all gone now. It was a very tender and loving time being with them.


Deb S. is a very dear friend who along with her husband and others in charge of the Brigade plan many life changing trips for not only all the patients they see, but life impacting experiences for the team members. Mieke went two years as well. We hoped to go to together her junior year in high school. Well, that didn't work out because 5 days before we were supposed to leave, I fell going down my basement stairs, carrying a box of Christmas ornaments. I broke my wrist. But, Mieke was she too afraid to go without me?? No way, she couldn't wait to go, All the women friends on the trip assured me that they would look after her like their own child, so she had LOTS of moms that year.
The next Jan, we were hoping to go together again, only to find out I had thyroid cancer and needed surgery. She had another amazing trip. She would love to go again with Aaron someday.

Jackie  brought up Woody to put a smile on my face, when you press his belt buckle he has a whole bunch of lines he repeats. He gets lots of looks and smile as I go on my walks around the halls.

Now for today's update: Sat. Dec. 8

First I wanted to share that yesterday was a big day for our family. 17 years ago my Dad received his liver transplant at U of M. He is doing so well, and we thank God for so many more years than we ever thought we would be fortunate enough to have him be here with us. We love you Dad!!

Had a rough night, had a fever of 102.2, they did blood cultures and I am having a CT scan of my abdomen to see if there might be a small abcess causing the fevers.
They just started another peripheral IV line. The TPN IV fluids are running and because that raises your blood sugar, they are always checking my blood sugar and giving me Insulin. I have been having a few small diarrhea type movements from below, and now they want to test for C-Diff, (just in case)
They shoot my poor abdomen with Lovenox (anti embolism) shots and and shoot the Insulin in my belly too. My poor thighs are both so bruised from having Heparin twice a day shots, that I tried to refuse them, they said, no way, we are not going to have you throw a clot on our watch. So they agreed to once a day Lovenox.   I am getting very discouraged and beginning to wonder if I made the right decision about this surgery. Please continue your prayers for healing, I an soooooo anxious to get out of this place.

6 comments:

  1. hey, did you get your NG tube out? Did not see it in your pictures.
    I always hated those heparin and Lovenox shots, it does give you incentive to get out of the hospital, just to stop those shots!! Your in my prayers. It will be worth all this trouble when everything is working and your out of the hospital. Hang in there. Love your friend Tammie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, thanks for the updates. It helps us know how to pray for you. We're going to pray even more fervently for your healing, encouraging news, peace of mind, and ability to go home. I'm not sure how many days it's been, but I know it's much longer than you planned on. Home will seem so sweet!
    With our love and prayers, Ron and Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool to have friends from Honduras come to visit...so special! When I was at Spectrum, I couldn't even get people to come from Holland. :-J I should probably be careful what I say, some might take me seriously at the wrong time. Anyhow...He (God) never said it would be easy, just that He would be with you every step of the way. I can't imagine how difficult all this is for you, but you must know that so many people are praying. Your life continues to be such a testimony to God's greatness.

    Tell Jackie that Woody was a nice touch. I've always had a "thing" for Woody, a real "stand up" guy. Or maybe it's Tom Hanks I like....

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of us here in Tulsa send our love and prayers. I had a week of heparin when I had my DVT/PE in '02 and it was all via an IV. No pokes. Ever. Doesn't hurt to ask.

    Sure hope you are home soon to enjoy Christmas. Hope someone has put up your tree. If I were in your time zone I would have done it by now. (Haven't done my own yet, but I would have done YOURS. Going to be gone so much it doesn't seem worth it this year.)

    I think Woody looks like an "Okie" to me.

    Love,

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cameron, could you give me your email?? I would be glad to answer any questions you have. Deb

      Delete