Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day 14

Stan Here:

Seems hard to believe but this is the 14th day for Deb up here. It would appear that in 3-4 more days there is at least the possibility of her getting out of here. Nobody has really told us that yet, it just seems to me that it might be possible.  One thing that I have noticed.  I would have pictured recovery to somewhat more of a steady process.  What happens instead is when you leave one day and things seem have made progress. Then you come in the very next morning and things may have taken a step the other way.

That is what happened this morning.  It does not appear to be anything serious. Alden stayed with Deb last night and reported a higher level of pain than before and the medication needed to help with that caused  some groggy and slightly confused condition.  This pain stuff they use up here can play with your head in a bad way.  I think Deb might have so much of it in her body that the cumulative result is a body that just needs a break.

I had  arranged for a few people to come up and see her today but I called them and thought we better delay that for at least a day. I asked her and she said she did not think she could do the visits.  And for her you know she has to be hurting to say something like that.  One  other thing that did not work quite like I thought is that it seems to me that her breaths are still short. I was hoping that after they took all that fluid off of the lungs this might improve.  If it has I cannot notice it.  There have been moments when we move her that a little panic comes in the picture.  It feels to her that she not getting her next breath.  I wish I could write a better report but that is just the way it is.  I remember that some years ago  we were going someplace and she was late getting ready.  I asked her what was going on.  She yelled downstairs and she said she felt like ---- and she looked like ----.  Fill in the blanks there and you pretty much have what this day has been like for her.

Now that I am learning to use this blogging tool I wondered if any of you have any questions.  If you would like to know something and put it in the comment section I will reply in the reply section for all to read. 

On a totally different subject I have been wondering about something now after some days have been spent alone at home.  Here is the question.  We have three bathrooms in the house. I have only used one. But the others are getting a noticeable ring where the water tops.  What I am trying to figure out  is how this might be possible since they use city water.  I am finding that taking care of things there is a little more work than I thought.  Deb and I have argued for years on who was making the mess.  Don't tell when she gets better but the possibility is coming clear that I might have some responsibility in this area.  I also think laundry is a larger pain than I knew.  My stuff is coming out in a wrinkled blob.  So it needs a bunch of ironing before it can be used.  When she gets home I think she will come home to the Martha Stewart of mandome.  Gotta prove a point here.  Also quite thankful for her doing this stuff for all these years.

Stan the Man

16 comments:

  1. Stan, if your stuff is wrinkled you are leaving it in the dryer too long or you are overloading the machine..... Also maybe get some of those drop in the tank. Toilet sanitisers .....that might help......keeping close track...... Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good suggestions. Also, when you put your clothes in the dryer, there should be a wrinkle free setting on the dial. Also.....shake them out before thowing them in the dryer (I have to tell my husband that all the time!!) Don't forget to add the fabric softner sheets! Back to the hospital. Yes, the ups and downs are just part of the recovery. Remember, there were lots of muscles, tendons, moved around in there when they were searching....so pain will linger. Take the pain meds. It will take time. I am sure they are monitoring the breathing. Do you have a list of questions when the docs make rounds, sometimes it is helpful to have it all in front of you? Surgeons tend to round early before surgery or late after surgery, hope you are able to talk with them. Thinking of you Deb. We had a PEO tea today to honor members of 40 years and more. They had some interesting stories to tell about women and education. We were thinking of you.
      Terri, RN colleagues and PEO sister.

      Delete
  2. I have been praying for you daily Deb. I shared your blog with Tara and Leigh on Monday when I was getting chemo. They had not heard all that has gone on with you, so they were eager to read your blog.
    God is with you, He will strengthen you. Stay determined. You will be doing the Happy Dance, heading home. In my prayers Tammie Schermer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stan, are you getting any meals? If you need any I will gladly drop something off for you.


    Love to Deb,

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing fine. BArb Hapki just brought over a dish that is going to last me for a week. Plus I am I going to try to learn to take care of myself and not be such a wimp.

      Stan

      Delete
  4. Hi, Stan and Debbie...don't worry about the wrinkles Stan...shake when you take them out of the dryer....happens to me all of the time...there is an iron down in the basement that I think my mom bought maybe 20 years ago...but she did not use it either....lol....Debbie you had three major surgery's and I expect you to hurt especially the abd....sometimes when I did not breathe well it was because I did not want it to hurt so I used as little movement as possible to breathe....you are doing so well...love you lots and can't wait to see your smiling face on facebook again...Stan if I can help you with Debbie at all let me know...it has been a while...as you know I do baby's...but I think there are things way back in my brain.....hugs to all...lily sends a newfie kiss....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stan and Deb,
    I am glad to hear the ICU part of your stay is over! This has been such an ordeal for all of you but especially you, Deb. You are still in our prayers and thoughts every day and we wish there was something more we could do to lighten your burden. Love you!
    Ellen J

    ReplyDelete
  6. sad to hear deb didn't have a great day today:( have u voiced your concerns about her breathing to the nurses? drs? you didn't say if she has been out of bed, are "they" standing her or having her sit in a chair or is she in too much pain? is she still able to eat some jello and drink liquids? i am praying for a better day for you tomorrow deb!! we want more good news :) keep trying, don't give up, God is your strength. praying lots and sending love and hugs, mary leeuw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She walked all the way to the door last night without much help. Mieke told me that things got better last night. We have been asking about the breathing but they do not seem that worried about it. Mieke had not been there for a few days and she was amazed thinks things are improving. Deb can read now and lets see is she can do her own post today. We are going to try.

      Delete
  7. Stan I have to say during all of the sadness I feel when I read your posts you always get me to laugh somewhere in between. Deb, lifting you up in prayer and sending you lots of love and happy thoughts. I will be home in June to have that tea with you one the porch. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stan - I am a laundry pro and would love to do your shirts and pants - NOT your underwear, LOL! You do not have to do it all. Having help is not being wimpy. Don't worry about the house until just before Deb gets home, then one of us will pitch in and give the bathrooms a thorough cleaning.

    One step forward and then 2 steps back is so frustrating. Deb's whole body is protesting all the surgeries and moving of internal organs. This has been a major invasion. Praying she gets some relief soon.
    Love Linda B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. It is about time I learn to do some of this stuff. By the time she gets home I will be a pro. I must tell you I am amazed at how stuff gets dirty without using it. I think if I were a women I would trade the inside stuff for the outside.
      Stan

      Delete
  9. Deb...YOU GO GIRL! Literally...You are an inspiration to all of us. Another miracle is happening. I am doing the happy dance right now and continuing to keep you in my prayers. One step at a time my dear friend...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that comment was Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb,
    You are doing so well for THREE major surgeries. I just had my gall bladder out, and it hurt like a _____. I can't even imagine how much your abs hurt. You are brave and strong! Lifting you up daily in prayer.
    XO,
    Lisa Archer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deb,
    I am missing you (but not the beeps of the IV's and monitors) LOL
    I hope you are getting a little more sleep now that you are out of ICU.
    I can't wait to talk to you on the phone, so when the day comes that it does not feel like such an effort to talk, give me a buzz or text.
    You are amazing - I have never seen someone so motivated to recover (who asks for PT while they are still in ICU!!) and before you know it, you will be walking out of there. :)
    Stay strong.
    God bless.
    Love Nancy

    ReplyDelete