Thursday, April 12, 2012

update from Ross

I am sitting here in the bed and Mom is sitting in the chair.  After ten minutes I started to complain about a bad back because of the angle of this bed... I can barely imagine how two weeks would feel. We went on a 'long' walk earlier which was basically down the hallway about twenty feet and back. I am happy to have a little time just with me and her here because when you are the only one here it feels like you actually can help a little bit, and when there are many people here, it's easy to just be in the way.

Overall, her condition is showing steady signs of improvement.  There are no longer any signs of fever, although she is still in quite a bit of pain from the incision. With all of the medical advancements in the last 50 years, I am amazed that we still use 'staples' on a persons body.

Mary, (Alden's wife) just showed up and she thinks Mom looks great compared to yesterday... a sign of the daily improvements in Mom's condition. She is going to be able to take a shower in about an hour and I know from her face and the way she is talking about it that she is ready and excited for this!

I wish there was no need to write this blog, but happy that there are so many people reading it and contributing to the healing process. Carol dropped a book off today (from Marcia) titled "Chicken Soup for the Survivor".  After reading many of the stories, I noticed that humor is considered by many to be one of the greatest healers of people when they are sick. So I tried to think of something funny to say...  I can't do it.

As many of you know, Mom likes a good joke and if you have one to share or have a story that will make us laugh, feel free to share it.

Thanks,
Ross






6 comments:

  1. Deb and family,
    I do so look forward to reading your blog every day...not for the enjoyment of it but for the daily reports that you're slowly (but surely) making progress in getting yourself better. PTL!!!!
    I think of how much we are alike in "liking to get lost" when on a car adventure. Everytime I get in the car with you, somehow, our directional sense gets botched up! Remember when we "lost" our way to Reeds Lake and had to stop a mailman along the road to help us fine our way?? Oh my!! And the time we went to Kalamazoo for a nursing conference and took all the "back" roads home? What cool memories they are.
    Today I took my daughter, Tammy, to the Lansing airport and guess what? Yup! We (I) made a wrong turn and had to take the scenic route to get her to her plane on time!! (she did make her flight)

    Deb, keep up the fight and know that I'm on a "one to one" basis with God, and He tells me that you'll be getting 100% better in the real near future....

    Love ya tons,
    Ellen Waterway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb
    I sent a cute joke to your gmail account. I hope someone can help you look at it. Of course I thought of you when I reeived it and knew you would like it! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb!

    I'm back from Germany and just read Ross' posting about you taking a walk down the hall and back. That is such progress for you after what you have been through. Your strength, faith, and belief in the power of healing are an inspiration to us all. Keep it up.

    As Always,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Deb! Glad to read about the progress your making! You're an amazingly strong woman. It's been great to hear reports from all the kids and stan as well. Here's a joke that I hope will brighten your day - sorry about it being a tad "off color", but you know me :)

    This pirate walks in to a bar with large ships wheel attached to the front of his pants.

    The bartender asks "what's with the ship's wheel?"

    The pirate responds "Arrrr, it's drivin' me nuts!"

    Love you all!

    Eric Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Deb and family,
    I am so glad that you are enjoying the book, "Chicken Soup for the Survivor". It was given to me when I went through my own "adventure", and I just wanted to pass it along to you because your story could easily be in that book as an inspiration to others. I am so sorry that I couldn't visit yesterday and bring it myself, but as you know I have another cold, and that's the last thing you need to be exposed to ! Sending lots of love and hugs your way! Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little humor....

    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

    I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.

    Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete