Monday, April 2, 2012

HERE IS THE NEWS

Stan Here:

Seems like everyday there are some new things and this day was no  exception. Things do remain as stable as they can get right now.  The ICU unit monitors and controls the breathing and everything else.  One of the kids asked me how I feel about this whole thing and very frankly, as this has unfolded, I have a few moments of sadness. The overwhelming emotion is that I just plain feel really sorry for her as she has to endure this. It has been very intimidating for me to see the equipment. Somehow I have reached the age of 60 I have only seen ICU units on TV and I have never quite understood the control they now have over the body and the monitoring levels they have.  It is a lot of stuff. Tubes, TV's, IV's respirators and more others things that I am not sure I need to be around again soon.

They have set up a time for surgery which is 8:30 AM on Wednesday.   I thought I was getting used to this surgery routine but one thing that changes is that surgery will start when the surgery team is ready because the patient is already there.  One other change is that there is no recovery room for a sedated patient and she will be taken back to the room on the ICU.  It has been mentioned that it is possible they will attempt to wake her and remove the breathing tubes late on Wednesday night but that is only if everything goes very well.

Her surgery doctor called me twice today to clarify things as it relates to Deb's condition.  As dangerous as this whole thing looks to me they have made it clear that the ICU, and the graduation from that, is not at the forefront of concern.  In other words the medical people think that the cancer is the greatest risk she faces and they seem assured that they will bring her through the problems related to this infection.  I need to tell you about one little silver cloud, and I kind of  need a silver cloud right now. Here it is. The biological defenses that the body builds to fight an infection, such as this, have been shown to have an impact on remaining cancer cells at a later time.  So there is an element of truth that something like this will have an impact as she continues to fight off the primary disease that caused the whole problem in the first place.  Now that would be something!!!  I will keep you posted on that one.

Allow me to finish with one more thing.  I must tell you that it was shocking to me and other members of our family to see Deb in a comatose state.  She is bruised and somewhat bloated from the fluids and it has been a very stark experience for us.  I visited this morning and was surprised to find her eyes open.  When she is sedated they had had some problems with blood pressure going too low and they controlled this by letting her come to the brink of consciousness.  So by blinking and some minor hand movement she had some ability to answer a question or two I asked her at 7 this morning.  I tried to tell her what had happened and I asked her if she would like to have a long time pastor friend of hers (and mine) come and say a prayer later that morning. Two blinks for yes and one for no. I got two blinks and I went to my office and called Dave Breen. Dave came at 9:30AM. He came in the room and it appeared that Deb was in a very deep sleep.  It kind of struck me compared to earlier in the morning.  Dave did proceed to read a passage and carry on a short conversation with Deb.  Than he said a prayer and at the end he said the word AMEN just slightly louder than the rest. Deb moved her head, opened her eyes, looked him right in the eye and mouthed the words "Thank You!"  Later in the day she again opened her eyes but this time I could detect a look of pain and confusion.  Since that time the ICU people have stabilized the medication to have blood pressure stay stable and to keep her under, which right now I think is really the best. The medications they are using has an amnesic effect so I am quite sure Deb will not remember any of this. At the same time it was amazing to me to witness this and in that moment appreciate the strength and resolve that she has always carried.

Yes we are in a tough spot right now. I write with the confidence that somehow she will endure this and live to post another day.  Thanks for your prayers and expressions.  They mean a lot right now.

15 comments:

  1. Praying for the whole family - it is difficult for all of you. You are lucky to have such a strong and upbeat person to fight such a hard battle. Thinking of you often, Lyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continuing to uplift your whole family in prayer. Love you all. Karol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you don't know me personally but I've left comments on Deb's blog many times. My husband of only fourteen years was in ICU three times last year due to cancer. I agree with you when you say that the ICU is overwhelming. I was there many times alone with him. It's not easy. It's a very frightening place to see a loved one. I hope her journey improves. I am a high school teacher and sometimes (believe it or not), I could feel solace in my classroom away from the hospital setting for a few hours at a time. It's important that all of you take care of yourself. Pray hard! Love a lot! Continue all of your positive attitudes. Believe in miracles! This isn't an easy fight. I hope for good things to happen for all of you!
    -Thinking of all of you from Indiana.
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you all, admiring your courage and faith, and praying for peace, comfort, and healing.
    Donna VanIwaarden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remembering you all in prayer that God will bring Deb through this time. Asking River Terrace Church staff to join in prayer.

    Dena Brunsting

    ReplyDelete
  6. dearest deb and stan and family, my heart aches with sadness that this "setback" has happened. we were sooo happy with the good news of the surgery, and then to have this. well, God is in control and He tells us to just give it all to Him so that is what we must do, and i am praying hard that deb will soon be free of the "machine" and all the other stuff and get back to fighting the remainder of the cancer battle. praying for all of you, my thoughts turn to you all so often each day!! mary leeuw

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, Stan, and Family,
    We haven't written lately but want you to know that you are, and have been, in our thoughts and prayers every day. We've asked our small group at church to pray also, especially these last few days. We hope that all of you can feel the power of all the prayers being lifted up for you. Thank you so much for letting us know how things are going. We want to "be with" you during these valley times and rejoice with you when the news is good.
    Ron and Sherrie Wolthuis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stan,

    All shall be well. The ICU is the best place for her. Speaking as a former ICU nurse and ICU nurse manager, the nurses are the best---
    I know the equipment is overwhelming, but we have come a long way in monitoring equipment to ensure continuous monitoring of the patient, enabling the nurses/doctors to act quickly to patient responses.

    Your thoughts are wonderfully written. Deb is most fortunate to have such a caring family....it makes a huge impact in recovery. Thinking of Deb on Wednesday.

    Terri Holden, Deb's PEO sister

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stan, Deb and Family,
    Thank you for keeping us updated on Deb's condition. I will continue my prayers for her and all of you until she is up and around and cancer free. I believe she will be too! Praying for good news, peace and comfort for all of you! Your faith in God will bring you through these dark days. Please take care of yourselves! Deb VandeBunte

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stan, Thanks so very much for being so informative regarding Deb's condition. I read it in awe knowing how much you and your family much be going through and still continue to fight this battle like true warriors. Please know that I'm sending all the love and prayers that I can render at this time. I'm continuously sending up "arrow" prayers to our Great Physician and I know with all my heart that He hears those prayers and will bring Deb to 100% health through all of this.
    Please give her a HUGE hug and kiss from me and tell her that I'm here for her whenever she needs me.
    Love,
    Ellen Waterway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your comments. One of the reasons that they are doing the surgery Wednesday rather than Tuesday is that the surgeon wanted a fresh team. They could have done it at the end of the day Tuesday but he told me that the procedure is quite involved. They are going to re-clean everything and they have a lot of work to do. Not sure how long it will take but as i have met some of these people I have great confidence in them and trust that all will be OK.
      Stan

      Delete
  11. Praying for you ALL. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear about this rough patch. How hard on all of you.
    I hope Wednesday the surgery goes well and Debbie will be on the road again to a full recovery. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love
    Debbie S

    ReplyDelete
  13. My heart hurts for all of you as you go through another hard time. Praying it will turn out to be a positive thing and that Deb will be able to endure this and soon be up & around again. Thanks for all of your love poured out on her.
    Uncle Tony & Aunt Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. sending so many thoughts and prayers your way. We love you.
    Jeff, Erika, Max, Ella and Mia.

    ReplyDelete