Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Thoughts

Allow me to write today some thoughts.  It is been my goal in this time to report the medical updates and this posting is not going to do that. Instead I wish to let some emotion flow on to the page.  It is my wish that in so doing we all can reflect on some things that help enrich the quality of our lives.  Seems like a good thing to do on this day.

Some years ago we had a very popular man from our church pass away quite suddenly.  I recall the pastor of our church started the funeral message this way.  "We would all give a lot right now to walk outside and see Marv with his hand resting on the hood of his car.  His smile, his demeanor, his faith, his personality and every thing else about him is something we mourn for today."  Instead of a message of sadness the pastor went on to bring a message of promise.  As I sat and listened I thought and reflected on this man's life, but I still thought it was a strange start.  As the years have gone by I have thought about that message. It has helped me understand that all of our emotions have an element of the desire to have things that are not to be, come back.   I came downstairs at 4 this morning and right now I am recalling the many years that Deb would rise at around 6 on Easter and prepare for our children, the traditional Easter basket.  Those of you that know her,  know it had to be a special day for her to rise at 6.  As I sit now and look at the fireplace let me yearn for the times when the Easter baskets were lined up on the mantel.  The first kid would come down and complain that the ears were gone on his chocolate bunny. I would make sure that my shirt did not have any of the chocolate remnants and explain that I had no idea of what had happened.  Later we would all get ready and go off to church.  In past times we would always have some sort of choir or musical responsibilities.  As I recall those days I encourage you on this day to let some of your memories come back to you.  Rather than have them be clouded with sadness I ask that they bring to you a brighter emotion. That is what I am letting happen right now. I suggest on this Easter that you let some of these type of positive feelings "resurrect".  I suggest if you do so, this will be a good Easter for you.

We have some friends that had a kid that was a good football player.  As we attended some of the games I can clearly recall his grandfather sitting in the stands.  As the years past I somehow came to the realization that there was nothing this kid could do to diminish the love and passion that this man had for his grandson.  Good performance or bad. The grandfather is gone now. But the memory I have of his devotion to his grandson is something I will not forget.  I encourage those of you who are parents and grandparents to pursue a similar passion and devotion to your offspring.  I believe that as you do so, it will have enhance the meaning of Easter. Let the passion you have for your family "resurrect" in your soul on this day.

I played golf several weeks ago with a local dentist. Most of my friends know that these recent times have  challenged us in a way that nobody would expect or want. This man had faced a large challenge some years previous and he told me something that helped me.  He told me that life brings times for all of us that we need to mourn for our future.  It is evident right now that this emotion has come to the forefront.  How I wish that I could take Deb home today and have life return to a normal condition.  She has always lived her life with a drive and passion that I think many of us do not have.  She wanted one of those trapeze things over her bed so she could start to pull herself up.  Mieke told me that she can only get one arm high enough to reach the thing.  Yesterday was tough because she did not make all that much progress in her journey to recovery.  Even with all the things that have taken place I sense that she will bring herself through this.  It is with this confidence that we experience this Easter day.  While it is true that we all have times that we "yearn for our past and mourn for our future," it is also true that the message of this day holds great promise.  In whatever course these events take us, I am quite sure that the promise of this day will not be lost for our family.  It is my hope that the same will be for you.

Thanks once again for your prayers and love.  When you see Deb, make sure you tell her that you do not think it was me who ate the ears off the bunnies. 

Stan




13 comments:

  1. Stan,

    Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom as well those from those who you have encountered over the years. I will continue to pray for an "easter-like" experience for Deb in that there might be a miracle of strength and healing. But more so that you both are able to experience Easter today in a unique and special way for such a time as this. CHRIST HAS RISEN..... Duane VB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan,

    Wonderfully inspiring Easter message that you wrote. We are thankful for so much and only have positive and hopeful thoughts for Deb and her recovery.

    Love,
    Ken & Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie & Stan and all...thinking of you today...Prayers continue....love you...remember baby steps are good....char and lily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings on this beautiful Easter morning, Deb! I am so thankful that you are making progress and getting stronger with each day. We are singing "in Christ Alone" this morning in the Bridge. Truly, in Christ alone can we hope! Trusting you and your recovery to Christ.....I love you! He is risen! HE IS RISEN INDEED! Karol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christ is risen! This is the miracle of Easter, God's promise fulfilled. We are praying that Deb will continue to make progress each day. We also pray that the Lord will give each of you the strength to face the challenges ahead.
    Stan, if Deb hears who was responsible for those missing bunny ears, it won't be from us.
    Love,
    C&L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stan,
    At Marv's funeral, there was a photo of him reading the Bible to many of his grandchildren. It was such a beautiful moment, captured for many generations.

    May there be many moments like this, for you and Deb to share with your children, and their children.

    He is Risen!
    Love, and Prayers up.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful message Stan! Even during this struggle, your words are inspiring and meaningful. Blessings to all of you this Easter and in the coming weeks. I will continue to pray for strength for your entire family. Love to Deb.

    Anna D.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stan,
    Thank you for sharing this Easter message, intended to be lived throughout the year. Although Deb's voice is not yet strong, her words are flowing through your voice to us. You are a gift to all of us, allowing us to all be part of your extended family. We are all here, ready to take the yoke, to support you in every need. Deb and your immediate family on one side and all of us on the other. Your reflection today was a very special gift, Stan. A favorite verse of mine? Be Still and Know That I Am God. Be Still and Know That I Am. Be Still and Know. Be Still. Be. God Bless You and give you peace and strength today and tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow...

    Hugs,
    Karen Kohlruss

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an inspiration message, Stan. As Karen mentioned, you are Deb's voice and we are all listening. Thank you for sharing and we all keep praying. May God continue to give you the strength you display each and every day. Lynn Schweibert

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stan,

    Time to reflect....and you have done it well. The sun is shining again.....I picture it pouring into Deb's "temporary space" bringing strength to an already remarkably strong being !!
    Terri H. colleague and PEO sister

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Stan for your Easter thoughts. It feels like it was written just for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thankyou for reminding me/us to not forget days gone by - those fun family traditions that make you smile. BTW - I think Deb KNOWS who ate the ears off those bunnies. That is one VERY smart woman :)
    You are such a blessing to me, Stan, and your written thoughts will be a testimony to the whole family for years to come. Today Easter took on a new memory for me - your compelling words to remember and to share the joy of His resurrection. Jesus conquered the grave!
    Our prayers are for years of life for you and Deb and that someday you might be eating ears off the grandkid's chocolate bunnies.
    Love you guys,
    Linda B

    ReplyDelete
  13. stan, who do you really think ate the bunnies ears??????? deb knows for sure...thanks for you're easter message. thank you for sharing my dad in your story. it made me smile and cry. he was a wonderful father and grandpa. thank you...
    our prayers are for debs healing and getting stronger everyday. we pray she will soon be grabbing that trapeze bar and getting more strength. we love you all.. rod and karen

    ReplyDelete