Monday, April 9, 2012

Mondays can be Good

Stan here:

I went up to hospital this morning and was met with a scene that did not look all that much better.  I had heard that yesterday Deb had been able to really enjoy seeing her brother Jim and wife Nancy.  She had spent about three hours talking with them.  Nancy stayed overnight and the staff moved in a cot to help her sleep some.  She is an RN and has really been helpful in this whole thing. Her daughter, Jen, is a ICU nurse and the two of them have a strong understanding of the issues and procedures of the ICU. So what seems to me like climbing Mt. Everest, they take a little more in stride.

One of the other things that happens is that weekends in hospitals do not have the staff availability of weekdays so it would appear to me that maintenance of the situation is done on the weekends and progress can be made in a higher form on normal work days.  When I arrived this morning it seemed like Deb was having shorter breaths than before.  So they had to get the whole  thing moving on down to the x-ray to recheck the fluid on the lungs.  The goal of today was to get that feeding tube pulled and they did not want to do so if the risk of having to put it back in again existed.  The x-rays did show some fluid but the decision was made to pull the tube (which was really bothering Deb).  That was done around  2:30 today.  So sometime later today she will get her first meal.  I do not think it will be a Logan's seven course deal.  But it will be something. Like I said earlier we are thinking in small steps here.

I want to give you one more note of huge progress.   For the first time the PT (physical therapy) people came in and they helped her sit on the side of the bed.  Then, with one person on each side they had her stand up.  I am so tempted to send you that picture but I think but it is important right now that my life continue to help her on another day.  I am quite sure life would be over for me if I did so. Please just trust me!  I was not sure she would stand again.  Gotta remember here that she has not had her hair washed in 11 days and the picture might not make the next magazine cover, but believe me when I saw it was one of the finest pictures I have seen.

To settle one little thought from previous blogs.  Do any of you really think I would eat the ears off of my own children's chocolate Easter bunnies?  I do have an answer but I will save it till a later post.  I will tell you for now I am innocent.

Stan  (fun to post this one, we are gaining here.)

5 comments:

  1. We continue to be in awe of the strength and couragage of your family. It is wonderful to hear of the daily progress, and even though it may seem to move slowly, you are heading in the right direction. We are grateful for your posts, and we continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
    Dave and Shannan Deater

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb and Stan,
    It's so good to hear the daily progress reports! I'm in Tulsa taking care of my mother after some setbacks, and even baby steps of progress are something to celebrate. tomorrow your progress steps will be even bigger. I had a wonderful visit with your sister Krista last Friday. It turns out we knew each other professionally in Grand Rapids about 10 or 12 years ago, and it was fun talking about people we knew back in that day.
    Thanks for keeping us updated on your journey. It's inspiring! Donna Van Iwaarden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Deb, I know today is going to be the day that you make great progress. Hang in there and keep trying you are amazing. Love, Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb and Stan, we continue to pray for your strength, and after yesterdays report, small steps lead you toward your goals. Stan, we think you are amazing with your wonderful words. Rich said. "If only he knew how he has inspired me."
    Sunday, Rich had prayer for dinner, and Deb,it was for you.You are a nurse, and I know you will know what needs to be done.Would love to visit with you, but we will keep those precious moments for your family. Love from the family,Kathy & Rich

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, Stan and Debbie...now about the bunny ears...hmmmmmmm Deb I am so glad that you are doing baby steps...Prayers continue....love ya, char and lily...lily will give you balance and a steady smile if you need her....

    ReplyDelete