Tuesday, September 27, 2011

4th Chemo treatment/ second cycle / 1st Day post Awesome Tiger Game

Hi, I am still sitting in the chemo recliner gettin' stuff, one more drug to go. The good news is that Priority Health has approved payment for the Avastin med. YEH!!!!!!!! They got the word yesterday. What an answer to prayer, thank you all for remembering that in your daily requests. We can check that one off.  I think we figured out today, that I may be having symptoms from the IV Benadryl rather than the chemo.......so anyways, we may try next week with oral Benadryl instead of the IV stuff. That would also be an answer to prayer.
       I need to have a follow up EGD 10 wks from my previous one. So Zeeland friends, I will see you again on Nov. 9 bright and early,  (of course I asked for the first one of the day) with Dr. "P".
I am not telling you this to start working on my second basket! You had better not do that or I will feel bad for saying any thing. Looking forward to seeing you all again.
       Now for the exciting part of today's blog. The "Dreams Come True" experience was totally awesome.  Stan, Mieke, Alden and I arrive at 4:30 pm at the Administrative Offices at Comerica Park. We were met by Donna who is the PR person in charge. She greeted us warmly, gave us our tickets, and a bag full of Tiger goodies.  She explained what was going to happen and then took us down under the park onto the field to watch batting practice. The weather on our way down was on and off again hard rain, lots of dark clouds, so were very afraid we might get rained out. Somehow when we arrived, the sun came out, coats came off and it ended up being a perfect weather night for baseball, with not a single drop of rain. I was excited when the first person I saw a few feet from me when we got out there, standing right next to the Tiger dugout was Cabrerra. Then walks by Jim Leland the manager. We couldn't snap the pics fast enough. Sitting in the dugout was Al Kaline, a man from my generation. She had warned me that don't plan on meeting my favorite Tigers because so close to the playoffs they may be preoccupied, so that was not on my brain. I was looking around and to my surprise I see up on the large scoreboard this:

That stayed up a long time. Then Donna takes me over in front of the dugout steps and here motioning with his finger "come on down here"  was Magglio Ordonez. He greeted me, put his arm around me, had pics taken with him and signed his autograph on my shirt. She said sometimes the players prefer to do this in private, so other fans don't descend on him and mob him. So fun! I thought, OK they got me one of my favorites, that will be it.
I have a bad habit of licking my chops before a picture, how dumb, hope the pics Donna took are better:)
At the end of batting practice, the players were all coming off the field, and again they wisked me away from my family in front of the dugout and who comes right up to me, but none other than Justin Verlander!!
I put my arm around his waist, and let me tell you there was no extra adipose tissue there my friends. The first base coach Tom Brookens also came over to greet me and sign my shirt. Too fun!!

If you watched the game, you know what a lot of hits and home runs there were. A foul ball even came right at me, and I thought, OK, how did they arranged that to happen??, Stan tried, but the guy a couple seats down from us got it, it was his birthday.

The best part of the whole night was the reason we think I was selected by sending in my application for this dream come true. I had sent a copy of Stan's first blog, the story about our first date being at the Tiger game, and my "milkshake request", etc . She said she loved it and she wanted to give us a "2nd date".....Thanks Stan the Man, you are the best.  Thanks Mieke for the video, it's awesome. Thanks Jim for the extra tickets so we all could go. Love you all!!

I am finally home now from chemo, unfortunately having to wait for a lab result, I was there for 8 1/2 hrs........ugh. Oh well, chemo is my friend, it is what is going to kill this cancer, and keep me a Tiger fan for a looooooooooong time. Deb

9 comments:

  1. So glad you got to go to the game! Cool pictures and video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic event! So very glad you had a dream come true - a dandy. You are staying in our prayers Deb. Greetings and best wishes from Kayle & June

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Debbie....Justin.....yikes my heart would have melted on the spot.....and to see all of them ......whoa.....there I go.....love it....and to think you had all of those thoughts during the chemo treatment...what a way to make time pass fast.....love ya, char and lily

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! Feeling the love at Comerica with a team you have loved. The video with music was the best. Did you have a milkshake? Keeping you in our thoughts, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun event! Maybe you need to make a scrapbook of all your great events!
    We are moving home tonight- so watch out- I'm in the neighborhood. I will come visit, and walk if you want. Think about you constantly!
    Deb B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! You have a special memory that will last a lifetime. Hope you get a good lab report.
    Eileen Hofstra

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story!
    I have never been a sports fan in general but to get close to those you greatly admire is a wonderful thing! :-)
    Love it,
    Duane

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great event for you and your family. Out of sight. Keep at it. Our prayers for you and Stan are intense.

    Al Hoks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just read the post! I started tearing up when I saw the scoreboard! What an awesome event! Glad you got to do it.

    ReplyDelete