Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Still sitting in the recliner..........

Hi Everyone, thought I would give you an update. I started out the only person in the chemo treatment room, it filled up quickly with 8 more people and now guess what, I am the only person left. It took a while to get this baby rolling. They started me out with just "hydration" fluids, then the Chemo camouflage meds,(to prevent side effects), and then now they are giving me the real deal. Of course I had to have some reaction to this drug ( fairly common on your first dose). They had to stop it for a while and give me more meds to prevent nausea. They recently restarted it and so far so good. I like to imagine that it is just having a good 'ol time fighting with the cancer.

The nurses here are great, and the atmosphere is  very cheery and nice. They have coffee, juices etc. for patients and visitors. Lots of current magazines, books etc. Even had a patient bring in some pumpkin dessert to share.

One thing that did happen is that I am not in the clinical trial. I got word last Friday afternoon that there might be a problem getting me accepted into it. Because of my history of thyroid cancer 4 yrs ago, I did not fit the proper criteria for acceptance to be in the trial. They tried to get me in by saying that it was head/neck cancer......but they never heard from the head guys with many attempts at email, calls, etc. So, because they needed to start something, they decided to start me on my own and not be in the clinical trial. The Dr. had said he wanted me to be on a weekly regime rather than every third week, and so I am glad that is what we are doing. They will have to petition my insurance, to cover the expensive third drug. So if you could pray for that, it would be wonderful. I am receiving the same exact drugs I would have received in the trial, they don't start the 3rd drug (Avastin) until the 2nd or 3rd time anyways.

 Mieke left to go babysitting. We thought that for sure we would be home by 4pm, but I guess with this stuff, you never know what is going to happen. Kris is still here and Stan will pick me up on  his way home.

I am not sure if I will be able now to have my treatments done in Holland or not, will have to talk with them about that later.........So, for now, that is what I know. Thank you all for the many wonderful wishes for a good day, will give you an update tonight.
I have also been given the new nickname,  Turtle Saver.

2 comments:

  1. This was actually your second turtle save. Years ago, at Cranhill, Lizzie caught a turtle while fishing. You went to your car and got your nurse kit and used one of the instruments to get the fishing hook out of the turtle. The turtles of America thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a long day for you. Praying those drugs attack the tumors and not you.
    We had such a nice time talking with Stan last night. He absolutely adores you and that poured out from the depths of his heart.
    We know you to be a "saver" of creatures great and small. "Turtle saver" is symbolic of who you are to so many. Now we are praying that God allows us to have you here for a long time.
    Also hoping you can enjoy some of that good food that keeps coming your way.
    Praying...hoping...expecting...A MIRACLE of God's grace.
    Love Linda

    ReplyDelete