Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chemo Day #2 done

Hello Everyone, thought I would give you a quick update on how today went and some new info I found out.  I was there for approx. 4 1/2 hrs. today, so much for it being a 2 hr. day. Guess I will always keep my brain in flexible mode on Tues.  My labs work was good, I only had the one chemo drug Taxol today. I will be having the second one Carboplatin every 3rd week.  They still are waiting to hear from Priority about approval for the Avastin drug. Please keep praying for that request!

I again had a reaction (sensitivity) to the Taxol, so they had to stop it and restart it later, much slower and that is why it took so long.  I guess I can't help it that I am such a "sensitive person". I talked with Dr. Harrison, and he finally talked by phone to the main person in charge of the Clinical Trial, just to get a "for sure" answer . He said they did not want to include me in the study, because of my 4 yr ago history of thyroid cancer, it might muddy the study. So at least we know now for sure. 

I asked when they would be checking on if the chemo is working. He said they would be checking my blood test the CA-125 test probably after 3 cycles, (a cycle is 3 wks) so approx around 9 wks.  He also said they would do a CT scan somewhere around that time also. Everything is approx. and subject to change, so he doesn't like to ever say something is "for sure".  When I ask him some questions, he says do you want to see my crystal ball??  I said yes, he pulls out his phone, and he has an app with a crystal ball, you ask it a question and it gives an answer. So, I said, "Will my CA-125 be lower than 1000?  I rubbed the crystal ball, and it slowly answerd " Undoubtedly Yes" . So there you go, a look into the future.

I have to tell you what a small world it is out there. I sat down in the waiting room across from this nice couple. I didn't recognize them. Her name was Dolly. A unique name, I knew one once... Anyways, when I got up to use the bathroom during chemo today, that woman asked Nancy (my sister-in-law)  I heard her last name is Hoksbergen, did she ever live in Jackson? Nancy said, why yes she did about 34 yrs ago.  When I came out, sure enough it was the Dolly and her husband Frank Klomperans , that we know in Jackson, MI where we bought our first house, went to the CRC church there, and had their girls in youth group. They moved to Allendale in 1996 and she has been treated for Ovarian cancer for 4 yrs. We will see each other in 2 wks and have fun catching up.
Get this, when I told Stan about this, he said, that is very weird because I thought about them today and I was going to write about them in my blog today.......doodoo....  doodoo......

It was fun to come home to a box from California from ProPlants on my front porch. In it is a beautiful succulent plants with chicks and hens, etc. and I love it! I will definitely keep it inside and enjoy it all year. Thanks Todd and Megan, we are also so happy to have know you guys for a long time, watch you grow up, get married, and now to be such special friends of Alden and Mary. Love you!

The beautiful cards continue to appear in my mailbox and I am so appreciative for all your kind words, notes of encouragement, emails and texts. They bring me to tears usually, I am a real sap. Thanks Jean for sharing you journal with me, so special. I think I should be getting a commission from the book "Jesus Calling" because it is so cool how may of you have shared that we are all reading the same page together every morning. A pretty positive way to start the day.

Please pray for my good friend Crystal who had a knee replacement today in Wisconsin, she used to live in Holland, was a nurse and she and her husband went to Beechwood. Hope your recovery is uneventful!!, miss you and we love you guys!

Please also remember my grade school friend Ellen, the nurse who helped take care of me in the hospital, she is having some major health issues and may be facing more surgery. Love you Ellen, and I am praying for  you!

Beechwood friends know about Ken, but for others reading this blog, please add him to your prayer list. He is going to be undergoing Radiation at U of M soon and we wish him the best and successful treatment. Ken was Alden's mentor when he made profession of faith. ( I hand picked him).  Love you Ken!
Tigers are winning again WOO HOO   sorry this is so long, what happened to the quick note. I blame my rambling on the steroids!!  Tomorrow I will give you a medical update on all my relatives...... Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment