Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Standing date of Tues at 9am

Got home around 6pm, stopped by purchase my wig at Brenton Village. Stan agreed it looked just like my real hair. They now tell me because of the weekly chemo dose, I may start getting thin, but I may not loose my hair quite as fast as they previously said, in 11-14 days.  Well, either way, I am now ready!

I slept all the way home, so quite tired, no nausea yet. Yeh, I have to take meds before bed and then more for the next few days to prevent that. My abdomen is still healing , so I am not too excited about the thought of vomiting, if you know what I mean.

Ok, to update from my previous blog of today. I found out that I will continue  to receive my chemo treatments in GR. The reasons for this are a few: I would have to totally transfer to an oncologist to manage my care there. I would like to continue with my surgeon/oncologist because there is still a small chance I may ever need more surgery to remove some of the cancer, if the chemo would shrink some of the cancer and they could safely remove some. Another reason is there is a real shortage of chemo meds. Nationwide clinics are having a hard time getting fairly common and routine drugs.  Dr. Harrison's office have all the drugs I will need saved with my name on them, and that is a good feeling. Also, I have heard very good reports that he is very good at managing the chemo treatments and I feel good about that also.

Lots of fun surprises waiting for us when we got home:
Jodi's homemade chicken soup.......nothing tastes better when you don't have much appetite than that.
Crane's beautiful lattice top cherry pie from my friend and cancer survivor Deb B.
CD of  scripture sung to wonderfully calming music, it was produced as a lullaby CD, but it is popular for"kids of all ages" even middle age kids. Thanks Denise, my sister's new friend from Tulsa and now my friend too. Can't wait to meet.
Any then a surprise package from my old gradeschool buddy Dave W. I knew it would be something different, so I'll share. He said he hopes we were familiar with the phrase, sending coals to Newcastle, because that is what was enclosed. 2 different flavors of milkshakes. Dave has been enjoying Stan's blog and he had to show us that Stroh's and Vernors were not out of business. You are a very thoughtful nut, and that is why we love you. Stan is already enjoying one! I looked up the phrase to make sure I knew exactly what it meant, and yep I was right.

So I now have all my appts made for Tues at 9am in GR. They will be around 2 hr appts and then every third one will be a 3 1/2 hr appt because I need to see the Dr. at that one. I have blood work done before chemo starts each week. Thanks for everyone's kind words and thoughtfulness as begin this new part of the marathon ............Turtle Saver (Anna, how do you remember that I saved a turtle way back yrs ago?? you have a good memory)

5 comments:

  1. Oh Debbie you have been in my thoughts so much....I still have a bag of Lily hair for you.....very soft...take care my friend...will talk soon...love ya, Char and Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the continued updates! Continuing to pray for healing and for tolerable side effects during your chemo treatments. Take Care, Duane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb,
    It's a funny feeling waiting for a "feeling" to happen after you've had your first dose of chemo. I never did get sick but on the 2nd day following my chemo I started to feel achy all over (like when you have the flu). Every treatment I got more tired and the achiness continued through out all my treatments. I pray that you'll not get nauseated and sick.
    My hair fell out after 2 weeks of chemo...it was exactly 2 weeks to the day that I had my "buzz" cut.
    Us girls from ZCH would like to pay you another visit but we'll be sure to call to see how your day is going and if you're up for visitors. (We promise to behave :)
    If you need someone to take you to your treatments please don't hesitate to let me know as I'd love to sit with you during that time...I've been there and know how important it is to have a friend or family member with you.
    I love you Deb, you're a very special lady and I'm proud to be called your friend.
    With love and prayers,
    Ellen W

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz has caught some odd stuff while fishing, so we do remind her of her catches. She caught a fish at the Beechwood fishing derby and a duck grabbed it and the duck got caught on the hook. Norm released the duck, couldn't save the fish.
    Glad to hear that you have all the meds reserved for you! My sister and I shaved my brothers head in June. He wasn't losing it fast, but he was tired of seeing it in the shower everyday. We made an event of it, with lots of appros jokes.
    Remember when we were kids and all the department stores had huge wig sections? Norm says his mom wore a wig to church every Sunday. I guess it was easier to style it the day before and not get bed head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb-
    I read your blog everyday and that helps me to know how to pray for you on that day. I enjoy your posts very much. Praying for you and your family...
    Karla Kammeraad-Bos

    ReplyDelete