Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Superwoman

Mieke here, reporting for blog duty....

Mom had chemo yesterday, and guess what....she feels great! We are so happy that she isn't down and out, sick or tired. Actually, she had more energy than usual, whew, who would've thought!? After a very long day yesterday (of sitting and waiting) today was refreshing and wonderful. I love that she can come out with me and do simple errands like return books and movies. For some reason, errands just aren't that bad when I'm with her. I hope everyone has someone like that in their life.

I haven't reported things from "my side" lately and I feel like maybe I should do that, share my heart. First off, let me tell you how happy I am that mom is here, feeling pretty good, and has started chemo. I'm also glad that I can be here with her, supporting the best that I can. I can't lie, it is strange not living at Hope this year. I love going back to school and being with my friends all the time (it usually isn't the studying part that I look forward to). So when I'm not there for the random 1:00 am dance parties or lazy Saturday's it does make me miss Hope. BUT, with that said, I am not looking for a pity party or any sympathy because I love being here with Mom and Dad just spending time together like we used to in high school. There are some people who go to college and hate coming home for visits or summer, but I'm kind of the person who looks forward to those times. I like spending time with my parents, call me lame, but I do.

Mom still has cancer, and life isn't peachy, but I'm happy that we can be together and see people we love all the time. Another new routine that we have gotten used to is mom opening cards (me watching) and just crying together about how nice people have been. I know we have said this all the time, but we are learning a lot through all of this. We opened a card today from someone who just went through cancer. She wrote very comforting words that touched us both. Did we send her a card when she was sick? no. But, we are learning and this has changed us, changed us for good. Expect something from us next time you're down and out.

My mom is superwoman. So strong and beautiful. She looks great, makes me laugh and we have a pretty good time together. Thanks mom, I love you.

I meant to do this a while ago, but I think my mom wanted me to put some pics up of the new and improved craft room. I have been using it a bunch and now I do my homework down there too. I love it. Thanks Aunt Krista for helping me finish this project, it has been a long time coming.


This is the desk that I bought for $6 and painted orange. New knobs (sprayed silver) and wahlah, a cute project that looks great in my bedroom. This was the day before mom went in for surgery.
Before....kind of a mess

Pink!
Here we are, finished, and proud of the job well done! (this was right when mom got home from the hospital)
Here is a picture of Kris and Tim up north this past weekend. What fun!

Much love to all, Mieke

Mom also wants me to thanks couple people for things today.

Karen for the wonderful supper. We enjoyed it very much.
Lori for the very cute sunflower and banana bread, always good to visit with you.
Vickie for the flowers, they are so beautiful.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your craft room! That rocks. I can only dream. I have a small space in our basement that Erika helped me set up during one of her visits. It does the job but how great would it be to have my own room! Having time to craft might help too! Love the pictures, think of you guys often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your craft room is gorgeous! You are an amazing daughter...and seem to have a wonderful, beautiful mother! So funny how cyber space can link strangers in weird ways. Praying for your sweet mom always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meike, your craft is will make alot of peaople jealous! It was great that your Aunt Kris could be there to help you get it all organized.
    Deb, glad to hear that your first round went so well. I pray that you will feel as good with each passing week. My church choir pratices started last night and I wanted you to know that you were lifted up in prayers by what I think is a very powerful prayer group! Sending warm thoughts and hugs...hope you can feel them!
    Love, Lois

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Meike, I have pretty neutral feelings on the craft room :) though I do want to comment on the very nice picture you've posted at the top of your blog. So many words spoken in that image, especially after learning so much more (and enjoying immensely) from your dad's blog. Deb, please continue to feel the constant pouring of love and prayers from us and the many others. You are a light in this world! God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great!! So glad she could be there to help. Whenever I have a room to organize I wish my mom lived closer. She is so good at it! Deb looks great and so glad she is feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God is good!
    The craftroom is awesome. I love mine, but I have so much stuff in it that working in it is not an option. So I still end up spreading my stuff out on the dining room table. Hmmmm maybe I should take over the entire basement. Ping Pong table, here I come! After I clear the laundry off of you!
    Hey you guys, call me when I can be of help. See if I can be more energetic than the person who just got chemo! You're amazing! Love Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meike,

    Thanks for your post and sharing your heart! We are praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wrote u both a super long post and then it got lost inmcyber space. So I'll write tomorrow, just wanted to say hi & that we send our love

    ReplyDelete