Sunday, September 25, 2011

Happy 8th Birthday Ryan!!

Alden and Mary's party was so much fun. They had great food, great friends and a great house for a whole gang of people. They lucked out on the weather too, only had few sprinkles by the time it started, so people could sit outside on their new patio they built and enjoy the fire going in the portable fire pit, play lawn games and enjoy a wonderful fall evening.  Alden used his new Infrared cooker to do a turkey and pulled pork. People sat around in the living room and watched the Tigers, good game (unfortunately they lost). Mary is such a gracious host and did an amazing job with all the preparations. Her sisters and her parents also were there to lend a hand.Thank you guys for including me as one of the reasons for the party. Everyone was so kind, wishing me well and such support to get through this cancer treatment.

Did not make it to any Artprize exhibits because of the rain.  Trust me I will be watching the weather and I will be down there sometime this week. Thanks for all your suggestions of wheelchairs, etc. to see things if my body does not agree with my need to "see it all".

I made it to church again this am. I love being part of worship when Mieke is up there singing. It makes my day. She is such a blessing to me, I am so proud of her. I loved seeing and being greeted with hugs by so many Beechwood friends. Thanks for all your care and love in so many ways. I was happy to see my  co-worker Betsy and meet her Mom. I miss you too and all my friends on nights at the birth center. I told her I often think I should just go up there at 2am and visit when I can't sleep. If I tried that, it would probably end up being one of those nights when the "baby bus" comes in and there are so many women in labor you don't know if you are coming or going.

Grandma Hoksbergen is still in Hackley Hospital having tests to see what's really going on. Hang in there Shirley. 
I want to quote something from another wonderful devotional I received from my dear friend and co-worker Sara. It is called "Ending Your Day Right" by Joyce Meyer. On Sept. 14 it was entitled "Learn How to Fly" Those who wait for the Lord...shall change and renew their strength...they shall lift their wings and mount up (close to God) as eagles...they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint or become tired. Isaiah 49:31
        God's Word makes several references to eagles, the most powerful winged creature on earth, and I believe you can learn some valuable lessons from them.
        Eagles do not fear or run from a storm--they allow the powerful wind currents to lift them above it. Nor do they waste time battling with other birds. When attacked, they simply mount up higher, soaring effortlessly above their enemies.
        When you grow weary of the struggles and battles of the "lower life", (cancer, sickness and tests in hospitals) it's time to learn to fly.
         Allow God to teach you how to fly above your problems. Be determined to know Him and the power for His resurrection. You'll discover that when you're soaring close to the heart of God, you can face whatever comes without growing tired and weary.
    
So many people have asked me, how do you keep your spirits up? stay so positive? well, this is the reason. I am flying...... and I hope Shirley this helps you too.

I just had a visit from a very special little friend of mine. His Mom and Dad, Chad and Brandi brought us lunch today. They told me he came in to tell me that today was a special day, his birthday. I knew right then, I remembered back 8 years ago, I was their nurse when Ryan was born by C/S. I always told them, he was the cutest little baby I had ever seen.....Thanks for the memories, it has gone so fast. I love your family!

3 comments:

  1. Deb,

    Your attitude throughtout this "bump" in the road called life is an inspiration to all of us! Thanks for including that beautiful passage. I'd love to see you any time you can't sleep at 2am (and I am at work!) If the bus showed up, you could stamp papers and set up IV's for us. You know what those nights are like....any help is appreciated. :) Claudia M. (BBC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deb I thought of you last night....I hope you were able to get to the Tiger game as it was grrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeaaaaattttttttt!!!! I will be thinking of you today.....9am until forever.....take care my friend....love ya....char and lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to see you both for a bit. Thanks Stan for playing with the kids and giving Ryan a hat for his birthday! He thought that was pretty cool, even if he didn't show it with much enthusiasm! :) Please know Deb, that we are close in spirit and resting next to you in prayer. Until next time....Chad & Family

    ReplyDelete