Thursday, August 18, 2011

Alden here.
First, here is a picture of my beautiful bride with some flowers and gifts at the hospital before we packed up.

We found out today that Mom is more comfortable when she remembers to use her ice pack. She is still very happy to be home. Thanks Laarmans for the gift certificate for dinner. We enjoyed some delicious wet burritos from Marios with the fam. Thanks to Jean for helping us pack up the room before we left the hospital room.
Once again she can't thank people enough for all the wonderful gifts, cards, cookies, MSU gift bags, beautiful sunflowers from her coworkers at BBC, and so much more she can't even remember. (Vicodin..)

One fun flower story. My mother in law Meg Meeker was kind enough to send flowers to my Mom this week. They were supposed to arrive a few days ago, and today we found out why they were late. Below is a picture of the bouquet with the note. If you can't read the note, it writes "Five years of love and happiness. From, Sexy Face" I hope somewhere there is not a woman hitting their husband for flowers with a note saying, "Get well soon."

Stan thinks she might have a little something on the side, but mom swears that is not the case.

If you are looking for more medical details and answers, so are we.
Tomorrow we may hear some results from the "Tumor Council." We also may not. The surgeon basically said we will know more, when we know more. It was a bit frustrating asking him questions, because his response to a lot of our questions was "What does it matter?" I think what he meant was just go home, spend time with family, and keep trying to heal the best you can. Cancer is in Mom, and they are going to fight it the best they can, when they can, but right now we are just waiting.

From Stan:
Just a little additional note. There is an old saying, when it rains it pours. Today when we were driving off from the hospital we received a call and found out my mother(Shirley Hoksbergen) fell and broke her hip. She had to be taken by ambulance, and will have surgery tomorrow at Grand haven Hospital at 2pm. She is getting a hip pinning of her femur. More updates tomorrow.

Please add Shirley to your prayer lists.

6 comments:

  1. Hi My Friend...I am so happy you are home. I only wish I was down the street. It sounds as though you have had many, many visitors so that is a good thing as long as you don't wear yourself out.
    David and I continue to talk about the many times you were there for us and what comfort you have given us. We'll never forget when the surgical doors opened and there you stood to take our one year old Christopher in for surgery..and then when David had his apendectomy (sp), you sat with me in the waiting room in the wee hours. When I said thank you, you said, "That's what sisters do" I'll never forget that.
    I think it has become quite apparent how important you are to so many.
    I am so sorry to hear about Stan's Mother. We'll say a little prayer for her, too!
    Well, I've jabbered on long enough. I hope you get this note...I really don't know how to blog. Sleep tight and we'll slip over soon.
    We love you! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Stan, I am so sorry to hear about your mom! WE will add her to the prayer list. Deb and family, we are so glad you are home getting some real rest (no nurses etc. to wake you up at night) so take that Vicodin and get some sleep. I will talk to you tomorrow, okay?? Love Nancy and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, Glad you are home, it was a beautiful day and so much more enjoyable when you are in your own home.

    Sorry about Stan's Mom, we will pray for her too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really funny about the flowers. What's not funny is making someone laugh who just had abdominal surgery...right Deb? And it sounds like you have an incision that could have born septuplets and then some. I'm just kidding you guys...laughter is healing. So glad you are home Deb, please don't overdo.
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Deb I am so glad you are home and in your chair...my chair was my best friend too...and ice...good big bag of frozen peas works great..Your guess about the MSU bag...I could not just bring the other bag with that "blue" thing in it...the people at work would understand too...enjoy the muffins Claudia made those...feel better my friend...enjoy your family and feel the love and support of all...Stan I am so sorry about your mom...Prayers are going her way right now too...hugs to Spencer...char and lily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb was convinced that the "Sexy Face" message on the flowers was sent to the wrong person. I, too, feel sorry for the woman who got the flowers with the message that was meant for Deb!! When I called the florist to try and push the issue, she seemed a bit tiffed that anyone would question that message! I guess they probably see it all!

    ReplyDelete