Wednesday, August 17, 2011

friends, dogs, mom, and more...

This is Mieke, writing "exactly" what my mom says...

Sorry for the late posting today. I've had a lot of wonderful company and a lot of medical interventions done too. The epidural catheter was removed and it has taken all day for the pain to be controlled. The folley cath was also removed which is great but has required many more ups and downs to the bathroom which is exhausting. There were lots of visits from doctors including my surgeon who explained that the tumor board will review my case on Friday at which time they will make decisions on further treatment plans. I had a wonderful medical massage which was a free service to enhance comfort and healing. It was specifically an oncology massage and it was great. Best part of the day...seeing my smiling parents carry my little pup, Spencer, down the hallway into my room. He wanted to sit with my dad, which explains how well he is treated when he is at their house. Mieke thought it was funny when I called this morning(after 2 vicodin) and said, "Mieke, I am so confused. Why is Spencer writing me and sending me text messages? I miss you. I'm so confused. He got a bath and is coming. I'm so confused."

The best news, a Doc came in tonight and informed me that I have officially met my benchmarks to GO HOME! YAY! Can't wait to use my $40 recliner and have Mieke do everything I ask of her. (keep in mind who is writing here) He even said I could go home tonight, but I think I will wait for tomorrow. My momma is going to spend the night with me tonight. I'm looking forward to spending the night with her and I'm so glad she is able and willing to do that with me.

Love to all, Mom and Mieke


Thank you so much to Katie Luyk (one of Mieke's good friends from Elementary, Middle, and High School) who made this beautiful quilt for us. We are amazed by this gift and the effort and love that went into it. We are so thankful.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Deb,
    Glad to hear that you are busting out of there tomorrow. You will finally be able to sleep in your own bed with your own pillow. Make sure you make everyone wait on you hand and foot. Milk it for all it's worth. You deserve it! And give that little puppy lots of hugs too!

    You are all in my prayers,
    ~Deb Hamelink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, I'm so sorry. I just heard about all this today. I pray for every cancer cell to be squished out in the name of Jesus and that you will feel minimal side effects from your treatments. I miss you "locker partner". I'll try not to make too much of a mess in the locker while you're gone. Can't wait to see your smiling face again at work. May you be filled the peace of God which surpasses all understanding.
    Blessings,
    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. u look wonderful, smiling and happy to be loved on! u have hundreds of people storming heaven's gates on your behalf! so glad to hear u feel peaceful and close to Jesus :) praying for good pain control and good rest/sleep so u are ready for the trip home!
    thanks for the updates and continue to be a "good" patient and do everything they tell u to!
    glad your "baby" made it to see u! that must've been fun! love you, mary leeuw

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed the quilt right away! It looks comfy!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb, what a beautiful quilt! Can't wait to visit you at home and see you and Mieke snuggling under it. Have a safe trip home. Don't overdue it.
    Vickie P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you sleep good tonight coming home will be a big adventure for you and you will need all your strengh for that, but no place is better than home. Praying for comfort and miracles

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is 2:30 am in Tulsa and I am awake so checked your blog. Wonderful news!!! I was afraid you might still be in the hospital when I get there on Fri. This is just terrific. Love the quilt. Will try to get back to sleep. Oh yes, so happy to hear about the massage!! Best tretment there is. Sweet dreams!

    Love & blessings,

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea what wonderful news...Prayers all around....take care my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb,
    What great news. There is no better healing place than at home with all your things and love ones around you. Love the 3 generation picture. You all look great! Sending hugs and prayers. I saw that Don had posted a memory about Belle Isle. Remember all the Christmas' our families celebrated together. I remember following you around all the time. Looking back at it now, even then you had tons of love and patience to put up with me following you and making a pest of myself. Even remember a couple of sleep overs at your house on Beaconsfield. Be sure to let others due for you once you get home. Don't push yourself too hard to begin with!
    Love to you, Lois

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb, so glad to hear you are heading home! The Donkersloots continue to pray for you daily (and I pray for you several times a day) I know that miracles do happen, have experienced several in my family. Keep Mieke busy and don't exert yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your "remote nurse" is now morphing into "local nurse". At your service, ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I were in Michigan so I could welcome you home in person! I know you have a legion of friends who will do enough coddling for now!! I miss you, and I read your blog every day (God bless you, Mieke!) Let the mega-healing begin! Love you. Karol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Deb,

    I hear some of my ZCH cohorts stopped by for a visit! I would have loved to join them. You and your family are in my constant thoughts and prayers. This whole thing must just feel like a whirlwind. I know from my experience when my uterly vivacious beautiful mom got sick it felt like someone had just hit me in the chest with a semi truck and stole our lives. I continue to pray for God's healing on you and peace for your loved ones. If Mieke ever needs to talk to someone who has been in her shoes and understands all the feelings and emotions she is going through I am just a phone call away. I would drop everything to help. 801-3003. Keep your chin up. Enjoy the attention when you get home and try to be a good patient by letting others do things for you. I know that will be difficult for you but it is the only way your friends and family know how to show you how special you are to them! Thank you for letting us in and praying you through this journey. Love you Deb! Let the miracles begin!!
    Kim (Cory-Bell) Peplinski

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great news Deb, I continue to pray for healing and pain relief for you. It will be great to be home-"there's no place like home" Glad you have your own special nurse/daughter to take care of you.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deb is home now. Her mom and dad are with her and so am I. Thanks for all of the calls, gifts, flowers and cards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deb, how wonderful to hear you are home! There is no place like it. Your ZCH friends have spent some sleepless nights praying for you. We'll give you a call next week. Dr P is bringing in some special "juice" for you:) He wants us to deliver it. With lots of love and prayers, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deb,

    Great news that you'll be going home tomorrow. Tthe 3 Musketeers from ZCH will be stoping by your house in the next week or so....maybe with another bottle of "clear liquid???"

    It's great reading your posts....hope you keep them up when you get home.

    Love ya,
    ellen Waterway

    ReplyDelete