Thursday, August 4, 2011

Surgeon appt.

Well, it's been a busy day. The colonoscopy at Holland Hospital went well. He didn't see any narrowing or breakthrough of the colon. This I hope means, I won't have to have a colostomy. We had to go right after that to GR to Dr. Charles Harrison. He is a GYN/oncologist. We all really liked him, Stan, Alden, and Karen K. He told it straight , very professional, no fluff, looks you right in the eye. My surgery is scheduled for next Friday, Aug.12. Not sure of the time until Thur. night. He said it would be around 4 hrs long, I would be in the hospital anywhere from 4-7 days. He thought it was probably at least stage 3, but he really can't do a definitive diagnosis or stage of cancer until the surgery. He talked about removing the uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and most of the omentum (fat) in the abd. He might also have to do a resection of part of the colon if it needs it. He also may have to dissect tumor off of the bladder. He will also removed and send lymph nodes. He talked about putting in a port for the chemo, and they may also put a port right into the peritoneum, so they can inject chemo drugs right to the area. Depending on what he finds, I may be a candidate for a trial drug that is about $10,000 each time, but may be paid for by the study if I qualify. This is a lot of info, but that is what I can remember now.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing all this information. It might be a lot, but it's very helpful for those of us listening in. It gives us something to hang on to. Our prayers for you continue.
    Roland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping us up to date. I will continue to pray for you. Enjoy your time up north.

    ReplyDelete