Sunday, August 14, 2011

freshened up, some test results

Some things that mom wants to report to everyone....
Thank goodness she is feeling a little better! We freshened her up with this cool shower cap thing that has shampoo and conditioner and you just rub it around and dry it off. She loved it. We got a clean gown and new sheets, brushed teeth, put some "junk" as she calls it in her hair and she looks like a new woman. Even though last night was pretty bad, and she and I hardly got any sleep, things are looking up. The cat-scan and x-ray show that there is not a pulmonary embolism but she does have some fluid in her lungs. We are unfortunately still waiting to see the radiologist who will help get some antibiotics to prevent pneumonia. We have been waiting since 9am. But...mom thinks that they probably had to call him in, which she always feels bad about, knowing what it feels like to be called in on a Sunday afternoon.

She is enjoying looking at a magazine that I brought. I'm wondering if anyone who might stop by in the next couple of days could either bring their old magazines (ones that they have looked at and don't need anymore) or perhaps some new material. She loves just flipping through Real Simple, Oprah, Rach Ray, etc.

We are excited to see Alden and Mary who arrive home from Maine tonight.

Thank you to Aaron for doing Children Ministries (my job) for me at church this morning. I was happy to hear that some kids even said, "Where's Miss Mieke" and "Hey, you're not our teacher" Mom wants him to come and see her because he can always make her laugh. I think he is on his way.

Also, very happy to report that things are really starting to "move around" in mom and she is finally starting to do some bodily functions that will prove to the Docs that she can eat/drink something. Yay! To all the nurses out there, you know what this means....

The nurses here are great! We love Jill, Ryan, Doug, etc...They take really good care of her and you can tell that they look forward to coming into her room. There is just something about her that people love....

Here are a couple more pics from the other night that she really wants me to post.




She wants me to post pics from Ross and Rumy but I will do that when I am not so hungry. The apple from this morning can't hold me all day. Caf, here I come!

Much love, Mieke

P.S. did i mention the great news? Spencer can visit!! yay for a nurse who also loves dogs

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures! I am so glad to hear that things are improving, especially after the rough night. The shower cap thing sounds like a wonderful invention...and makes us all think twice about the simple things we take for granted every day, such as being able to wash our hair and take a shower. I am so glad you mentioned the magazines, because the girls and I would like to put together a care package. Any other ideas? Nail polish, crafts? Let me know. And that is soooo awesome that Spencer is allowed to visit! He has a special charm that can light up any room. :) Love you! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lost my post...try again.

    ''D...O...G" spells the best medicine. Did you know I had my family smuggle in Katers when I had my DVT-PE. My Spectrum nurse wasn't quite as progressive back in 2002. But I figured "what are they gonna do?" "Keep me in for recess?" Couldn't send me home. Enjoy your canine visit. Spencer must be missing you, too. So am I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No better meds than those doggy kisses!! Love the pics. Thank you to Mieke for keeping us all up to date. Sending prayers. Lois

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures are GREAT!! Love those smiles! AM so glad your dog can visit! Thinking of you often and
    praying LOTS!!
    Sandy S.

    ReplyDelete