Sunday, August 14, 2011

update on Deb from Stan

I left last and thought I was leaving on kind of high note because as yesterday went by Deb's strength  seemed to improve and by the end of the day she had taken some walks and seemed to be feeling better.  I called this morning to tell them I was coming in and it turns out a rough night had taken place.  Her temperature increased to 102 and concern started to build about that.  It ended up that she needed to be have some x-rays and then another cat scan which resulted in a sleepless night. The concern was a pulmonary embolism.  The doctor was just in and they are going to start her on antibiotic because the test showed no blood clots but some evidence of fluid on the lungs which if not treated could develop some pneumonia.   I feel so sorry for her right now. Mieke was with her and said she must have been injected with one thing or another about 20 times and now instead of one IV she has two plus some tubes in her nose for oxygen.  Enough of the bad news.
Both Deb and Mieke are now sleeping.  And that is good news.  Also these recent setbacks should not affect the day she is able to return home. In other words they had told us 4-7 days and that should not change given the events of last night.
Some people have asked me how I am doing with all this.  I wish I could tell you different but I will tell you that this is really a blow.  At the same time I think it is a testimony to Deb's personality to endure this without complaining and with  the courage she demonstrates working through all of this.
My cell phone is 616-293-1274. Some people have asked if they can visit. My judgement at this time is that I think the quieter it is today the better but on the other hand I would have said the same thing yesterday and as that day went on she got stronger and truly enjoyed visits from her brothers and some friends. So perhaps if you could call me if you were thinking of coming and I will keep my phone on hand and let you know  how she is doing.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the update. now we know what to pray for, no infection, decrease in fever, SLEEP!! lifting you up in prayer as well, mary leeuw

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know your family, but i am thinking nothing but good thoughts for you all!!!

    ReplyDelete