Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunny Sunday

Hello all, Mieke here. Today started pretty well with fresh baked monkey bread from our good friend Karen. We also had fun with church festivities. I lead children worship and roped my dad into helping with the puppet show b/c Aaron had another event this morning. Dad was great despite the fact that the puppet's mouth never moved when he was talking... The kids made sure to point this out with pointing and laughing and he quickly fixed his timing. I couldn't keep myself from laughing thinking about what I was putting him through. Here was Stan the Man lying on the floor of a barn propped up on one elbow, trying to hold a microphone and script in one hand and handling Andricus, the puppet with the other. Good times.
Mom was also able to be there and looked wonderful. It is good for her to get out and get some fresh air and see people from church.

After church we went to visit Grandma Hoksbergen at the rehab center in Grand Haven. The drive down Lakeshore is one of our favorites. Mom and I can't help pointing out our favorite cute houses, we do this all the time. Give us an old stone wall or an ivy covered chimney and we melt. I thought that Grandma looked great, even though she is not at home, the place she is staying is very nice. It was good to see her and Grandpa and catch up on everything. So glad that her surgery went well and she is recovering quickly.

We also can't believe a new piece of news we received this afternoon. Grandpa Vermeulen is in the ER in Detroit. He had his swollen knee tapped to check if it is infection or gout. Not sure what in the world is happening in this family, but it needs to stop! Too many people in hospitals, we are not used to this at all! Hope you are out of there soon and back to your usual self Grandpa!!

How can I describe how mom is feeling today? The first thing that comes to mind is a word my friends and I use a lot. Meh. Not wonderful, but not bad either. Just very anxious for the chemo to start to get this cancer out of there! We now are enjoying yummy dinner from Karen and are watching South Pacific and flipping through magazines. I love Sundays.

much love, Mieke


3 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that you got out of the house Deb. I am sure it felt pretty good to you to be doing something normal. I keep praying that you get all your appointments done quickly so that chemo can start. I hope Uncle Jim is doing ok. As always, praying for your family constantly.
    Love, Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie...it was good to hear ur voice today, despite the call being about more family medical drama. So glad that you continue to be well cared for, wish that ur treatment was starting asap too, but all these steps will hopefully get ur body fully prepped for chemo. I remember Allison saying during the initial weeks of lib's diagnosis, "I don't care what kind, how it got there, or where it is, I just want all of that cancer out of her!" totally my feelings then for her & now for you. Sorry my plans to be an extra set of hands last week fell thru. Maybe if I am more mobile soon, I can come visit & we can be "patients" together:) thanks Mieke & stan for the walker, it's quite a look! So glad to hear school stuff got figured out for M & that she was able to get someone to fill her spot in the house. God truly does take care of us. Getting sleepy..talk soon i hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you remember us... I'm Angele's mum. We are back in France for good but we still think of you. We wish you all the best you can expect and I will continue to come here to have some news of you.

    ReplyDelete