Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pray for patience

Hello Everyone, I want to give you all an update from todays Dr. appt.
First of all he said I have Stage 3C Serous Adenocarcinoma of the Fallopian Tubes.
Because surgery was not going to work to remove all the cancer, chemotherapy is the only choice we have for treatment. I hopefully will be excepted into a clinical trial for chemotherapy. I will be receiving it at his office in Grand Rapids. Before I can begin this I have to have some more tests, including an EGD, (upper GI), another CT scan and I have to have my port a cath put in. Because this all takes time to get scheduled, I probably won't begin chemo for 2 weeks. This is hard for me because I would like it to have started yesterday. This is pretty much the news we expected to hear. We were glad he had this much to report and we didn't have to wait any longer for some news. I will be Randomized into one of two study groups and I have no say in that. It is the same 3 drugs, just delivered on a different schedule. The one drug is Avastin (bevacizumab) which is very expensive $10,000 a treatment. Thank goodness it is being paid for by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and is being carried out under the sponsorship of the Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG).

Had fun looking for wigs at Brenton Village , have one on hold. They say I will loss my hair after the first treatment.

I am going to my good friend Marcia's house tonight for her celebration of publishing her blog (now a book) through her cancer treatment called, "Marcia's Marvelous Adventure". She is a two time cancer survivor and my hero.

Will write more later........

4 comments:

  1. Deb - I am praying big time for you! I will be asking all of my friends from here to California to include you in theirs too. Anything Gary and I can help you with, don't hesitate to call. I usually have Wed. and Thurs. off work. So keep that in mind if you need errands run or just plain old company. I'm just around the corner.
    Deb and Gary Millikan (I forgot to sign our names the other night)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, I know how you are feeling because I went through those same emotions 3 1/2 years ago. My hair fell out after two weeks of chemo....it's quite tramatizing but it's not the end of the world. On the morning when I could pull it out by the fist-full, my daughter Sarah (who is a hair stylist) came to my rescue and shaved it all off...we first cried and then we laughed and took pictures of the "great" event.
    They make such cute wigs nowdays that you can't tell if it's your own hair or or a wig. Just hold on to your "hat" on a windy day because while they're pretty snug, a good blast of air can send it flying (sounds like I'm speaking from experience doesn't it??)
    Remember to:
    -Keep your humor as it will get your through the tough times
    -NEVER give up the fight...you WILL win this battle
    -Know that dozens and dozens are praying for you and love you dearly
    -Don't be afraid to ask for help...people want to do for you what you can't do for yourself right now. Let them!
    -It's okay to cry. You don't have to put up a brave front all the time because the journey you're on will be rough and bumpy sometimes
    -Please know that I'm available 24/7 and will be there for you whenever you need to talk (or cry)
    Love,
    Ellen Waterway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers to you Debbie....and you have to know they have been ongoing....I am sure I could fashion a wig from Lily's hair I have a bag of just sitting here....it is very soft and I know that deer won't eat it or the flowers I have ....I thought that would make you smile....I hope to see you next week....take care my friend...I am too here 24/7 if you need anything.....lily sends a huge doggie kiss to you and spencer and I send a hug....char and lily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Deb,
    I'm a little behind reading your diary but I do need to tell you that the Heights Salon right here in Holland on 8th St. has wigs you can use for free thru the American Cancer Society. They are the only place in Holland that does this. They give you the shampoo, hair spray, styling gel, everything you need
    to take care of the wig for free. All they ask is that when you are done with it, return it so someone else can use it. If you want to check it out, give them a call and make an appointment. I took two girlfriends and my kids with me to pick out mine and we had a blast. I named them Rodney and Raquel.

    You are in my prayers,
    ~Deb Hamelink

    ReplyDelete