Saturday, August 13, 2011

update for this morning

Well, I will try and update everyone because I'm sure we are all anxious for any new news. Aaron arrived here last night around 11:15 and mom's spirits were incredible. He was making her laugh, which didn't feel so good but it was really making her smile and it seemed like nothing was wrong. We talked a lot about things that we want to do and everything we love about each other. It always seems to turn to her just wanting to see us all have kids. That is probably one of the saddest things that we think about.

Aaron and I slept in the room with her last night. Nurses/techs were in and out every hour. Mom said she slept 5 minutes here and there. She sat up on the edge of the bed around 4:30, which hurt a lot. Ever since then, the pain has been really bad. All morning. She is trying so hard to be tough, but the incision is huge and the surgery was extensive. The epidural doesn't seem to be helping a lot with the pain, which is so frustrating.

She took a little walk up and down the hallway with all her cords. She can't seem to get comfortable which is so hard to watch. They want her to take 4 walks and sit up in bed 4 times as well.We have seen a couple docs this morning but they really don't have any new information for us. They did explain that although the surgery wasn't as successful as they thought, it was still very extensive so the recovery will still be tough. I'm not sure if we wrote this or not, but they did remove both ovaries and her appendix yesterday. They did not remove the uterus. Her recovery will probably be the same as originally planned. The incision is probably a foot and a half long all the way down her belly.

 I have read her every comment and post, thank you so much for kind words. It might help to just leave a little story or something you love about her, I could read her those and I know she would love it. I'm reading things from email, the blog and facebook. Thank you for the support.

Love to all, Mieke

Here is a picture that a good nurse friend so kindly took of my mom on Thursday night. Thank you so much for doing this Melissa. We will always have these to cherish and look at. She is such a beautiful lady.


7 comments:

  1. Mieke, I tried to post yesterday, but I don't see it on there. I hope this isn't a repeat. I am crying so much for you and your family, especially your mom. I'm thinking about you and praying for all of you all the time. The picture is beautiful. Love Aunt Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb: It doesn't surprise me that you talk about future grandchildren. I still remember when Mieke was born you told me about your other babies...so sad...but how thrilled you were that Mieke was okay. I could see in your eyes the babies meant everything.

    Mieke: Thank you so much for sharing your heart in these posts. You're doing such a great job, especially under not so great circumstances. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

    Hoping, praying, planning for a miracle.
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture Debbie....you are such a strong person...with so much love and strength to get through this. Take care of yourself and we will help take care of you and your family with love and support....peace my friend, char and lily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb,
    Paul said you look "Good"! From a guy like him that means beautiful!! You are my new screensaver!
    Love you and praying that you gain strength soon, so you can fight off those big nurses that WILL come in and make you take a shower.lol
    I am scheming how I can come to see you soon. I told our friend, Rachel Veldink, about your surgery and everything. We talked about the good but short months of book club and how that Jackie has the best insight into those stories. Those were some good times!!!
    Hope you have good pain control tonight.
    Hi Mieke, Aaron, Stan and the whole gang.
    God's blessings to all of you.
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, Stan and family,
    We are holding you in our thoughts and prayers. May God's peace be with you as travel through this obstacle course. We hope you'll be able to travel again soon to your lovely cabin on the lake. There's something healing about sitting in that cabin, looking out to the lake and the woods.
    With our love and hugs, June & Kayle (Miriam's inlaws)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane and Gary said:August 13, 2011 at 9:08 PM

    Deb,
    We wanted to say Hello to you and the whole gang - Stan, Ross, Alden, and Mieke. It has been awhile since we have seen you guys, other than Stan at Meijer a couple of months ago.
    Always remember you are held close to our thoughts, hearts, and most importantly "Our Prayers".
    Deb - I do know the feeling of always being prodded and the nurse wake ups almost consistantly, just when you are getting some rest there they are - also had the feeling of not knowing what's next or what to expect. Strength, I know you will gain thru support from
    your family, your friends, and our Lord. I have felt God's arms and power around me when I needed Him most and we ask the same for you - Our prayers are for your pain to subside,Rest, and your Healing towards recovery.
    We love you, and hold you close to our hearts.
    May God Bless - Gary & Jane Van Langevelde

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear deb and family, i was so sad to hear the news, i had so hoped and prayed that it would be differant. now i am praying for good pain control, some good deep sleep and a recovery without problems! the picture of you is beautiful, as you are,inside and out:) i wish i knew what to say or do for you, i don't, other than pray for strength and healing and peace, i promise to do that daily. love and prayers, mary leeuw

    ReplyDelete