Tuesday, August 2, 2011

beginnings



Hi Everyone- a post from Mieke to start things off

How quickly life can change. A stomach ache has officially turned into something very serious. My mom has been tested and diagnosed with some type of cancer. We aren't sure of all the details yet, because much testing needs to be done before we can know anything for sure. We do know that her blood levels show cancer, and the ultrasounds show fluid in the abdomen. There were many tests done yesterday so she can go and see the oncologist in Grand Rapids. The doctor really only said a couple of things...You will need a big surgery, and get everyone you know to start praying.

There aren't words for how shocking this news is to all of us. I'm sure nobody ever knows what to say or do or how to react when their mom is diagnosed with cancer, and I am no exception. Yesterday started with a roller-coaster of emotions from shock to pure sadness. Please pray for my mom. We love her, and we know you all do too. She is my role model, best friend, and I can't do life without her. God will work in her and heal her.

Some of you know that my mom and dad were supposed to leave for Bulgaria in a couple of weeks for Ross and Rumy's wedding. This will very unfortunately not be happening anymore. Ross and Rumy will still go and have their celebration but my mom is absolutely devastated that she won't be able to meet Rumy's family and experience her country. Everything happens for a reason doesn't seem to do these types of situations justice.

Last night Alden, Mary, Ross, Rumy, Aaron, Dad and I came together as a family and loved on mom. We talked about how much we love her and about how things are going to be okay. Cancer is not fun and treatment is nearly ever easy but we will all support her as much as we humanly can. We will do anything for her. If I recall correctly, Ross was the first volunteer to give up stem cells if needed :) After many tears and hugs we decided to get out and do something fun instead of thinking and dwelling on what could happen. We went to the state park and walked the pier. Spencer even came and rode on Ross in his "pooch pouch" which always brightens everyone's spirits.


We will keep this blog so that everyone can be informed at the same time. We will update as soon as we know more information.
Thanks for the support and prayers. Love to all....Mieke

9 comments:

  1. Deb and fam... Lib and I are heartbroken and hopeful, knowing so much how you feel right now. May God meet you in this incredibly vulnerable time and take you to new depths with him. We are on your team and praying hard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris and I are in shock and have been praying since the moment we heard. Our heart breaks for you Aunt Deb and for the whole family. We will continue to keep you in ours prayers. Boys say hello! And as Justin said, we too are on your team! Much love! Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb (and Family) We will continue to keep you in our prayers....I was thinking today what a blessing it is for you to have all of the wonderful friends that you do - I am sure, in addition to family, they will surround you with love and support during this difficult time. Please let me know what I can do for you - I can be there in less than 3 hours. LOVE YOU.
    Alissa says HI too. Love Jim and Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear sister,

    Can't believe we must again face this as a family. But you must face it and work to defeat it and I am so sorry that you must carry this heavy load. But you won't be alone. You have family and friends who will surround you with love and support. The prayer support has already begun. Some of these prayer warriors you do not even know. The 100+ members of the Intercessory Prayer ministry team at our church here in Tulsa got word of your need on Monday afternoon. They are praying for you and will be updated as we go along.

    God is faithful and will hold you and your family in His hand as you deal with this. May He grant you health and healing!

    I love you,

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb,

    I am in shock as I am sure you are too. I have already started praying for you and your family. God does work in mysterious ways and this is probably why you have been on my mind so much in the past two weeks. i have just had the feeling that you were going to share news with me but never expected this. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. I do not live that far away and will be there for you.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deb,
    Paul and I are so shocked to hear this news, but we are sure of this...you sit in the palm of God's hand and He will love and provide for you through it all. I first met you in church when I was a newcomer and you came right up to me and started our friendship! We hit it off immediately! Please know that you have a friend and prayer partner in me. Paul too! You just concentrate on getting better. We love you. I will wait a while to call you as I know that now you probably have too many calls. You can call me anytime.
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi aunt deb, sending our luv & prayers to you all. My heart just aches as I think of what you are all thinking & feeling...with so many unknowns. Our hope is that you are able to rest in knowing we serve the ultimate healer. Please let us know what we can do. Thanks Mieke for keeping us updated on how things progress. Luv Jason, becky, & drake

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mieke/Deb,

    Thanks for the update. I am glad you got to enjoy the show at Hope College last night. Also great family photo at the State Park. Please know that we are praying for complete healing. As well as strength to walk this current path.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb (and Family) We have been praying for you since we heard. What a shock! If there is anything any of you need, I will be more than glad to help out.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete