Monday, August 15, 2011

Lobsta Rolls to Nasty Beef Broth

From Deb.
Unfortunately fever came back during the night.  Blood cultures wont be back until Tuesday night.  Enjoyed my first liquid breakfast.  Epidural still in for pain and is doing its job fairly well.  Still blowing into the spirometer 10 times and hour, and performance is improving.  My surgeon is most likely in surgery now somewhere, but I am told he should visit later in the day.  Thank you to everyone who brought snacks and for all the nice comments on facebook and the blog.  Reading stuff helps pass the time and is very comforting.


From Alden.
Mary and I were in Maine for a wedding this past week and we finally made it back last night at around midnight.  With the bad weather out east yesterday the airports across the country were all junked up with delays and cancellations.  For a while it looked like we would miss our connection in Cleveland and have to sleep in the airport, but we just barely made the connection.  Thank you very much Roland and Lisseth for picking us up from the airport.

Mary and I were asked to let mom sleep last night instead of coming directly to the hospital.  Turns out it was another tough night for shuteye.  Mom said that she would sleep for a bit, wake up thinking she had been sleeping for 4 hours, and find out it was only 5 minutes.  That would go on throughout the night.  Doctors in and out all night checking the tubes and listening to the lungs and bowels.  This morning they brought her some breakfast of beef broth and jello.  What a delicious combination.

It was not easy being in Maine Friday and receiving the call from Mieke about the results of the surgery.  It was very comforting that she had so many people here with her, and writing such nice things to her on this blog and elsewhere.  Mieke is a trooper and I can't thank her enough.  Being so far away, and only talking to people back here every few hours was not very fun, but it was extremely comforting hearing how strong my sister and dad sounded on the phone.  It was also nice to have such a wonderful new family, and wife to help me deal with being away from my mom during this time.

Hopefully the process gets better, the fever stops coming back, and eventually she can make the progress she needs to get out of here.  They just walked in and said they might take the epidural out and also start her on some more substantial liquids and/or foods.

Pictures of us in Boothbay Harbor at Mary's cousin Page Jones' wedding...


2 comments:

  1. Deb and family - You and I don't know each other. I started reading your blog when your niece Libby linked it off of her blog which I follow pretty regularly. And I have only even met Libby once (my book club found her blog when she was battling cancer and we started aiding money for her and her family....she came up to Richmond, va to meet us one Sunday and we spent hours talking about family, books, life and laughing). Anyway, so we don't know each other but I just wanted to tell you I am praying for you and your family. I am hopeful that you feel the love of our Lord and all those around you, giving you strength and peace. I cant imagine what you and your family are going through right now, but reading libby's blog was such an inspiration to me....her strength, positive attitude, love for others and her with were remarkable....it sounds as if that runs
    in the family :-) you must be so proud of your children and extended family, and I pray that they are comforted during this time as well. I wish I could provide some words of encouragement or advice, but I do hope you find comfort in knowing that there are people all over the country, and probably the world praying for you, some of them complet strangers. Praying that you are healed and not in
    pain. It is so clear by the posts on this blog that you are loved by many. God bless from Richmond, Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie and all...yes it is me again...can't seem to stop thinking about you....hmmmmm imagine that...You have such a great family and I love reading about then too...I am so sorry your fever came back last night bummer...but oh so glad about the broth and jello yum yum....personally I liked the cherry jello and chicken broth myself....just a thought...lily is sleeping next too me on the floor and I am thinking I need to wake her up for a therapy visit we are going to walk too....exercise but don't mention that too her...hope to see you soon my friend...take care...char and lily

    ReplyDelete