Friday, August 12, 2011

sitting here with mom

Well, we are in room 5022 at Spectrum. I'm here with mom. She doesn't know what to say...

She looks good, the incision in huge! It is actually glued shut instead of staples, which is nice.

Just put up a family pic in the room, along with some pictures my kids drew for her today.

This is just so hard to talk about, she is "sad". That is pretty much all she can say.

I wanted to add that the doctor described the cancer like "icing" which is so scary and horrifying. I wish I had a better way to put all of this, but I don't. She can't have any food or drink tonight, which is awful because she is thirsty and hungry.

Right now she is blowing into that speromitor thing, with a smile saying "I'm a horse".
Such a strong woman. I think more than anything her heart just hearts from the news. She is talking about making a bucket list, which isn't funny to some, but she is trying to keep humor and liveliness even though this news is devastating. Hard to do with news like this. Thank you for the notes of encouragement. I will be here all night, I want to spend every minute with her.  I brought some cute pictures in a book of when we were little, fun to look at and keep by her bed.
Dad just went home, I have never seen him cry, until today.

12 comments:

  1. Dear ones, we are hurting with you, praying with you and for you as we learn the latest details. Our church, until recently unknown to you and Krista & Tim, is gathering 'round to pray for one & all. We love you with the love of the LORD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are hoping and praying for the best and peace and we love you all! Words cannot express...
    Erika, Jeff and kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you all so much. Still praying and praying. God is a God of wonders so far above what we can even imagine. Love, Karol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mieke,
    I don't know how long your mom will be at Spectrum, but anytime you want someone to sit with you, just let me know. I'm here.
    Encourage your mom with the incentive spirometer - it helps to clear her lungs after surgery. And give her a gentle hug from me.
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mieke, I too am so very sad to hear this news. I am at a loss of what to say. You have all been in my thoughts all day today and so you will remain. Hopefully, you will hear some good news in the days to come. Remain strong, this is a fight worth fighting.
    Debbie S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our hearts are heavy here in Minnesota upon reading the news. We will continue to keep all of you in our prayers. "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" - stay strong!
    Caryn, Adam, Gerrit and Emmit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mieke
    Katie and I are reaching out to you and your mom with heart-felt tenderness. We continue to pray for God to bless your mom with healing and strength. She is already blessed to have you by her side.
    We love you! Liz Karlowicz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying that our Heavenly father will bestow his healing hand. While this is a hard time for your family, please know that you have so many praying for you both near and far. May you feel the warm embrace of our Lord and Savior as he is with you on this journey.
    May the Peace of the Lord be with you!
    Grace Assink (friend of Krista from Lynden, WA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Debbie,

    May I make a suggestion for your bucket list? I think once you recover from this surgery that a trip to Tulsa would be a good idea. Think about it, ok? But not before I come see you. See you soon! Love you very much.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  10. What tangible thing can I do for you, Deb? Name it.
    Love,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Debbie and Family,

    You are not alone in what you are feeling and experiencing. We hear about unceasing prayer all of our lives, but it is at a time like this that we find out what it means. May you feel the healing prayers of others, and may those prayers be answered. Linda Dykstra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sherry and Kendall DozemanAugust 14, 2011 at 7:35 AM

    Dear Debbie,Stan, Mieke and family-we are those who do not know what to say at this time. My contacts with you Deb have been sweet-Pampered chef party at your house,showers and wedding for Becky and Jason, you being my nurse at ZCH for a colonoscopy(we talked together through the whole thing)-I didnt go to sleep and you made me feel so comfortable, Cabi clothes party recently at Becks house. I enjoy seeing you each time. This was heartbreaking news from Becky- and the blog. are you able to climb into the lap of Jesus and stay and rest there ,and let Him take care of your mind, body, and soul.? I love how Meiki describes her mom-sitting down with a nice drink and listening, loving to see her phone say MOM, going to the fair, watching her paint outside- you certainly have painted a picture of a sweet mom who enjoys life. thanks for your words- .We'll be lifting you UPPPP! with prayer. Love in Christ- Sherry and Kendall Dozeman-

    ReplyDelete